chapter four, blossom

Until the games began, Felix and Ethel would be living on the floor designated for District 12. After the Tribute Parade, Felix immediately went to shower the feeling of disgust off of his body without a single word. The showers were easy, Felix only had to press a couple of buttons before he was clean and when he stepped on a certain mat, heaters appeared that dried him in an instance.

Though Felix could only imagine how soft his hair would feel if it were longer, he liked having his hair buzzed, it cut his bath time in half back home and it meant he had to use less shampoo which could then go towards the three other people in his home.

He changed into his father's old shirt which he had quickly grabbed — along with the medal — from the train before they left, wanting a piece of home with him. He covered the shirt with a jumper, he still wanted to keep the shirt a secret in the way. Wolf would faint at the sight of Felix wearing such a shirt.

Felix didn't want to stay in his room any longer than he had to. As he walked out, he was startled by Effie who was probably there to call him out for dinner.

"Hey Effie, are we eating now? I'm starving," he sighed, trying to smile.

Effie immediately saw through it and lowered her voice, leaning in, "I've heard what happened after the parade and don't worry, I've already talked to Electra, their escort, a dear friend of mine, you'd just love her!" Effie paused, stopping herself from probably rambling on about Electra, "Anyway, she can make sure Jade's mentors reprimand her for her actions,"

Felix dropped the smile, nodding, "O..okay, uhm, I— I don't want to make a big deal out of it, Electra doesn't have to go that far. I...would just like some warning before I'm kissed next time." he crossed his arms over his chest, squirming, "But...but thank you, Effie, for everything you've done so far. For both me and Ethel,"

Effie broke out in a smile Felix had only seen around Ethel before, "Oh don't worry Felix, I'm only doing my job!"

Their sweet moment quickly ended as Effie led him to the balcony where a table was seat up, overlooking the Capitol. Haymitch and Ethel were already sitting there, along with Wolf and Lavenne.

"Ah, there's my dear muse!" Wolf smiled, standing up to great Felix with an embrace and two kisses on each cheek.

Felix tried not to push Wolf off of the balcony as he sat down, Wolf on one side, Haymitch on the other. As soon as he sat down, Felix was offered a glass of wine which he accepted out of curiosity. They had never been able to afford alcohol and Felix wanted to try it before being thrown into the arena. He took a tentative sip, finding it good.

"Okay so keeping with my very...official promise, I've been thinking of how we're going to play you two," Haymitch spoke up, "Ethel's obvious. No one would believe us if we tried to get her to act macho so she'll be her usual sweet, never could hurt a fly, self," his voice dripped with sarcasm.

"Felix, on the other hand, we could try that macho, cocky personality with. But something I need to make sure you two know now is...there can only be one victor. Meaning the best-case scenario is one of you wins, which also means one of you will be dead. You two understand that, right?"

Haymitch stared at Felix specifically, who was playing with his food as a means to not have to look back. Ethel's eyes watered as she nodded and Effie started rubbing her back.

"Clear?" he raised his voice slightly which made Felix look up and nod before looking back down.

"Crystal."

Haymitch nodded and they continued the meal in mostly silence — the three people from the Capitol were chatting up a storm and Ethel would sometimes speak up while both Haymitch and Felix stayed silent.