chapter eleven, home

Felix woke up what seemed like an eternity later, in a hospital room. It took him a couple of moments for him to remember what had happened but then, everything came flooding back. Barty's death, Ethel eating the berries, Triton and Jade both being mauled to death, him passing out.

Felix found himself about to sob before he lost consciousness again.

Eventually, he woke up without all of the tubes in him and he took his first steps. His legs were wobbly but somehow he managed not to collapse right there.

"Haymitch? Effie? Anyone?" he called out as he walked out into the hallway.

"Felix, oh, good, you're awake!" Effie's peppy voice said from behind him.

He turned around to see not only Effie but Haymitch and Wolf. Felix's face fell as he saw Effie open her arms and he accepted her warm embrace, breaking down.

"I'm...I'm sorry that I'm here, and that it's not...that it's not Ethel," he whimpered.

"Oh, Felix, we're just happy you made it out. You are District 12's third ever victor since Haymitch over here. I'd bet my best wig that Ethel's proud of you too, Bartholomew as well..."

Felix nodded even though he didn't agree with her. He then went with Wolf to prepare for his interview. Wolf didn't pester Felix to talk, which the boy felt grateful for. He had gotten used to Wolf's personality, he didn't care about the parade costume anymore, Wolf acted normal around Felix. But everything felt...numb. Almost dream-like, like Felix expected to wake up back in the arena.

Unlike his stylist, Felix's prep team gushed at the sight of their 'little prodigy'. Felix nodded and smiled at everything they said, even though he wished he could tape their mouths shut and lock them in a closet at that moment.

They cleaned him and styled him in a way that made him look healthier as if he hadn't just survived the horrors the people of Panem had as entertainment. He was dressed in a gold suit — the same colour as the victor's crown as Tempest noted as if it was a compliment or something to be proud of.

He was then led to where his interview would happen. Effie held his hand for as long as she could, but eventually, she had to let go as it was tradition for the victor's team to go out and bask in their glory.

He listened as Caeser introduced each member of the team.

First out was Felix's prep team — Argon, Tempest and Crimson all seemed to love the fame as they waved and blew kisses. Then it was Effie's turn who was a bit more modest but still showy, followed by Wolf and then Haymitch. Now it was Felix's turn, he raked through his ever so slightly longer hair.

Now it was Felix's turn and he found his legs had a mind of their own as they led him on stage. Caeser welcomed him with a hug, leading him to the ornate Victor's chair. They talked for a bit, both men cracked jokes — although Caeser probably didn't feel like crawling in a deep hole and never coming out. And then, it was time for the real show. A recapping of the Games.

Felix's eyes widened as he remembered he would have to watch the deaths of the twenty-three other tributes.

The first thirty minutes were okay, it mostly was about the parade and the training scores. The only part that irked Felix was when they showed the brief kiss between him and Jade. He didn't even know the cameras had caught that.

But then, with a tribute exploding, Felix was forced to relive the Hunger Games. They showed him being separated from Ethel and Barty during the Bloodbath and when he found them again.

Felix's mouth fell open as he watched Barty kiss him in the dark. He stammered as he listened to the audience go wild at the intimate moment. Whoever had made the video had cut out their conversation before and after the kiss. All they wanted was the kiss.