chapter twelve, you're on your own, kid

The first week after the game was the hardest. Just even sleeping was the most complex challenge for Felix. Cordelia and Marcus' sleep schedules were probably thrown out the window because of him. Most nights he'd wake up screaming and one — most times both of them — had to calm him down.

It was a significant change for the three of them, Felix the most obviously. But there was a gaping hole. Something or someone was missing, and the two Lockwoods could not get it out of their heads. The day after Felix returned, they received an ornate, golden urn with 'In memory of Ethel Imogene Lockwood. Loving sister and friend' inscribed onto it. Felix would always remember the black hole that he felt appear in his stomach when he first laid eyes on the urn.

It should have been him.

The urn rested on a shelf in the downstairs living room, besides it was small trinkets that belonged to Ethel. Which included Mr Puggles, the ratty old stuffed bear she loved dearly.

Felix didn't talk much anymore. His mind was elsewhere, trying to process and understand what the past month or so had brought. Physically, he was alright but mentally, it was like someone had blended up his brain. President Snow's words impacted him as well. It wasn't the same pain he was enduring after his sister's death but it was something along those lines.

"...your body, for lack of better terms, would be sold to anyone who wants your company...your body would belong to me..."

He hadn't told either Cordelia or Marcus yet, Snow hadn't called yet either to inform Felix of when his 'training' would occur so he was hoping that their meeting was a product of his mind derailing before he too went off the tracks. Perhaps that would have been better than what really happened.

It had been a little over a fortnight when he heard the phone ring. Cordelia was out buying food and Marcus was visiting his family in the district's graveyard so Felix was alone. His hands started to tremble as he hesitated to answer. But with Snow's threat replaying in the back of his mind, he took a deep breath in, and then picked up the phone.

"H..hello?" his voice was small and thin, it almost made him tear up how fragile he sounded, "...w...who is it?"

The person on the other side of the phone laughed, "Quite surprised you don't know who it is, I assume you've been waiting for this call,"

"President Snow..." he murmured, "How's your day been?"

He chuckled again, "No need for formalities, you and I will become close over the years I hope. Your training will begin in two hours, the person who'll be teaching you will meet you as soon as you arrive in the Capitol. You'll be experienced hands, don't worry about that. I expect to hear that you'll be on the train within twenty minutes wearing formal attire. Have a good night, Felix,"

The call was over before Felix could even reply. He stayed there for about a minute, the telephone against his ear. Eventually, though, he went into his bedroom upstairs and straight into the huge closet. Robotically, he pulled out a button-down shirt and a pair of specially tailored suit pants. Wolf had 'spruced up' his wardrobe. Felix took his time but still rushed to put on his clothes and within ten minutes, he was on the train, speeding towards the Capitol.

He had left a note for his sister on the kitchen table. It was vague, he must admit, but he still couldn't find it within himself to tell her. Especially in a note.

As soon as the train came to a stop in the Capitol, Felix was ushered off into a car and before he knew it, he had arrived at where his training would undergo. It happened to be a small building in a quieter part of the Capitol if that was even possible.

A woman showed him to a secret upstairs section of the building and she bid him farewell with two big kisses on each cheek and one of the lips. He would have to get comfortable with strangers touching him in the coming years. The room he was left in was full of red silk, he noticed, and some artificial floral smell. There was a bed as well, right in the middle of the room.