Chapter Ten

Pinakikiramdam at pinag-aaralan ni Sapphire ang lalaki habang minamasdan ito sa kanyang harapan. Sinusundan niya ito habang iginigiya siya papunta sa isa sa mga pintuan roon sa loob ng compound.

Malaki ang Cornejo Compound dahil bukod sa doon ginaganap ang labanan ay may ilang fighter na naroon na din nakatira. The place has training grounds as well to keep them in shape.

Pagtulak nito sa isa sa mga pintuan ay bumungad kay Sapphire ang malawak na kwarto na halatang isa sa mga training rooms doon. Hanggang sa makapasok na sila ay nanatiling tahimik lang ang lalaki na may kakaibang tingin sa kanya.

"So, how do we go about this? Are you going to give me some sort of test that I need to pass? Or are we going to fight one another and if I win against you-"

"You can still change your mind." Putol nito sa kanya. "Stop being so reckless. Tonight is not your night-"

"Try me." Siya naman ang pumutol rito. "Let's get this test done so you can check if I'm fit to fight tonight or not instead of judging me because I'm a woman!"

"I have nothing against women. I am not sexist, I don't think that you're...." Pambibitin pa nito. "...weak. As a matter of fact, I can sense that you're fearless, and quitting isn't in your vocabulary, but still, I have to warn you that this isn't just a normal battle. The audience is betting and for sure, they'll bet against your life."

"I don't care about getting any supporters. They can bet against me for all I care, I just want to fight tonight and beat the unbeatable. I need to cross out one big fighter on my list."

"You made a deal with Cornejo, didn't you?" Tanong nito na ikinakunot ng kanyang noo.

"Yeah, why? Doesn't he give all his fighters a deal? Weren't you given-"

"No." Mabilis nitong sagot. "I don't have a deal with him. I don't like negotiating with anyone."

"You mean, you just have no choice but to do what he wants, right? Your life is in his hands and you chose to follow him blindly. What does he hold against you? Is he using someone to scare you? A family member? A friend?"

Saglit siyang tinitigan ng lalaki bago humakbang palapit sa kanya.

"Are you sure you wanna know my story?" He is smirking. "You're not interested in me, you're here for my approval so let's cut to the chase since you're not backing down, aren't you?"

"You guessed right." Sagot niya na sinalubong ang tingin ng lalaki.

"Then show me what you've got!"

Pagkasabi niyon ay biglang sumugod na ito sa kanya. Kahit gulat ay nagawa pa din niyang salubungin ang bawat pag-atake nito. Mabilis ang lalaki at halatang bihasa sa labanan. She knew that he was still holding back a bit every time he attacks her. May alalay ang mga kilos at hindi siya natutuwa roon.

"Don't hold yourself back, I want to see what you're capable of." At mas naging agresibo na siya at siya na ang umaatake.

He is doing a good job blocking her every move. She couldn't hit him properly because he can read her moves in advance.

"You're fast." He compliments her, however, he suddenly maneuvered his body and hit her. "...but still predictable." He said, almost sounding too proud.

Nasipa man siya ay balewala sa kanya ang sakit. She didn't even flinch a bit. She attacked him again and this time, she successfully hit him. And then when he tried to get back on her, she counters his attack and her kick landed on the left side of his waist.