7

"eddie!"

excited chirping from dustin, will and mike surprised eddie who smirked at their excitement. he was looking around the table to find the last member of their little pack.

"lucas had basketball practice, he'll be here soon" dustin notified him, knowing what eddie was thinking. he rolled his eyes. he wasn't particularly thrilled at the idea of lucas hanging out with the likes of jason who he very much despised but if he enjoyed it that's all that matters.

"hey umm.." eddie wasn't sure how to introduce his idea "would you guys mind if steve joined our table?"

the younger heads just turned to him looking with happy gleeful eyes while the older members erupted into 'what's and 'why's. "look i know we had our long two years of, if you would call it hatred but the whole situation was a big misunderstanding.

"eddie mind i remind you he told everyone that you're gay?" gareth mentioned as jeff chirped in "yeah, that sort of thing doesn't just fly over our or your head."

"yeah i thought he did as well but apparently it was tommy h. all along" eddie sighed shaking his head, somehow still not believing he wasn't smart enough to realize it. "i should've know it. and steve didn't tell a soul, he also didn't know that tommy ever said anything."

everyone gave him skeptical looks. "and how did tommy even find out about you?" bastian asked almost as if to remind eddie that steve must've told tommy. rubbing the back of his neck he giggled awkwardly "he umm.. might've saw me kiss some dude. and steve didn't know about it because i never told him so tommy must've seen it."

eddie saw the mental facepalms in all of their faces. "god eddie you really are stupid" gareth laughed trying to ease the mood, dustin and will joining.

"ha ha, you're hilarious. i was sure no one saw us but i guess i was wrong" eddie waved his hand dismissively "anyways, that's not important. steve is gonna come in five and i hope you can all act nicely" he stared at his band members, knowing the younger four loved him already.

"fine" jeff crossed his arms, leaning back "he is a good player, couldn't hurt."

soon lucas joined them, getting shit from dustin for not wearing the hellfire shirt but he said he forgot it at home and after being notified that steve will be joining he mentioned the fact he won't be the only one not wearing it. as dustin tried to argue him "it's not the same thing" a brown haired boy joined the table taking a seat next to eddie who cleared gareth from the spot, the boy groaning in process.

"steve!" the young four chirped as dustin did his handshake with him. "hey guys, nice to see you" steve smiled brightly before giving eddies band members a few awkward nods, sitting down.

he looked at eddie who smiled at him welcoming him with his dm voice "welcome steve of shadows." steve giggled at eddie, seemingly surprised that he remembered the name he picked when they started to play all those years back.

dustin and lucas stared at eachother before the erupted into laughter "steve... of.. shadows?" dustin proclaimed through his laughs. they were wheezing, trying to breathe in between laughs. "thats even worse than will the wise" lucas cried out will looking at him lopsided, offended by his insult.

"now now, we will not be name shaming in here, especially not will the wise so you can both shut up now" eddie scolded the young boys giving will a sweet smile who returned one back. he was truly happy for will, the boy had such imagination and the biggest heart.

"just so you two little shits know, i will never change my name, 15 year old me was incredibly proud of it and i still am so you can shut it" steve joked with dustin and lucas whose laugher subsidied into small giggles. dustin put his arms up in defense, a sly smile on his face.

as they ate their lunch will explained his ideas, the bunch of them interrupting sometimes, eddie having to shut them up so the boy can explain in peace. they caught steve up so he wasn't left out and eddie could see a genuine smile on his face as he listened to them, every once in a while telling will that his ideas are great.

and eddie found it incredibly sweet how much steve cared for will and the other three. he genuinely complimented them while keeping it light and fun. he was like a big brother to them.

he just found himself eyeing steve every opportunity he got, having to dismiss dustins looks who noticed the staring. he knew dustin realized that eddie liked steve. and he knew he wouldn't tell anyone but he still didn't like the fact that the little genius was in his head.

as the bell rang announcing the end of lunch break, everyone got up, eddie cleaning everything up before walking behind them. dustin slowed down and walked next to him, talking in a low tone "i know you like him."

eddie looked at him, trying not to show that he knows what the younger means "what are you talking about?" "don't give me that. steve, you like him" dustin seemed stern, almost like a mom. "what are your intentions with him?"

"dustin, do you think steve likes me like that? no i don't think so. i'm not trying anything, you can sleep at night" he waved him off. "yeah okay, i just wanted to let you know. i've known him for years now and i.. i can't see him get hurt" dustin looked after his friend who was talking to mike about nancy... something.

eddie wrapped and arm around his shoulder and lightly squeezed the boy "i've already hurt him once. i'm not gonna do it again. don't worry man, you child is gonna be okay." dustin returned him a fake "ha ha" but smiled nonetheless.

...

"hey" steve jumped behind eddie, slinging his arm over his shoulder. "jesus, you scared the shit out of me" eddie pressed a hand to his chest, getting a giggle out of steve "sorry.. hey, i wanted to ask. the kids are coming over for a pool party, we hadn't done one in a while. and i was just wondering if you wanted to come?"

eddies eyes sparkled. it's been so long since he was over at steves. his parents were usually gone, traveling here and there, getting every excuse in the book to not be around steve. hence why they both hung out all the time. wayne was at work most of the time as well.

eddie and steve were each others trusted companions. they were there when their parents weren't, they gave each other advice, were there through hardships, sad moments, happy moments, you name it.

and eddie couldn't wait to have another one with steve. "i would love to come" he perked, smiling from ear to ear. steve clasped his hands and started walking backwards towards the front doors of the school, still looking at eddie "great! be there at 5 pm, okay? i mean, you can come earlier but that's when i told the kids to come. oh and im bringing robin."

and with that he was gone out the door, leaving eddie to try and remember who robin was. but before he could figure it out he'd gotten overwhelmingly happy and excited, giddy about their little hang out.

finally things were returning to normal.

...

A/N: this chapter is gonna be a little shorter but I'm quite sure the next one will be long. i was thinking of putting them together but then it would be to long.

haven't updated in a while, hope yall didn't die while waiting for me.

thank you for reading!