The Biggest Lie

Love is a powerful tool which can be used to make you reject every part of yourself.

It's a fine blade forged to slowly carve away substancial pieces of your identity, passionately twisting it into a reality in which you no longer exist.

You wither away alongside your ideals, your beliefs, your opinions and your sense of self.

What remains is but a shell of the person you one day had hopes of becoming... a figure waving back at you as your mirrored version breaks into a thousand particles, lost in the wind of life.

Your mind was now this empty abyss, this sole opinion of love lingering in, festering and moulding your convictions to be as far away from IT as possible.

It had affected you before, 10 years ago, last time you fell in love.

It had been an intense love too, the kind of love that sweeps you off your feet, makes you believe in the impossible, makes you do crazy things, makes you give everything and everyone up... even yourself.

It was also the kind [of love] to pretend it was selfless and pure, while underneath, roots of disrespect, control, obsession, jealousy and toxicity grew stronger, deeper, pretending to have your best interests at heart, when in reality it only wanted to cage your aspirations, twist your wings, pluck them from the stem and keep you in a box; a box meant to prevent you from growing, expanding... evolving.

Never again! You'd finally broken free from the oppression, years of your life you couldn't get back, yet it taught you an extremely important lesson—— love. didn't. exist!

It was late Sunday, a lazy afternoon in which you did absolutely nothing but spread on the couch and watch movies.

"The notebook" was playing and you quickly changed channels before watching unrealistic displays of nonexistent feelings.

You were a bit bored, dullness sinking into your bones as you turned one with the couch, when your good friend texted you, pulling you out of your misery.

                                               —

CeeCee has been your bestfriend for the better half of those 10years

CeeCee has been your bestfriend for the better half of those 10years. She's been with you through it all, not one complaint, only support. She loved to party and chase men around.

She didn't care about the conventions imposed on women - find a suitable partner, get married, have kids, live for them and die.

She wanted to live her life free of expectations and no responsibilities to others but herself and you admired her for it!

You had to work tomorrow but it was only the night shift, so you would have time to recover from whatever it was gonna hit you tonight.

You got yourself dressed in a black and white slit dress, you put your hair up in a bun and rocked platform heels.

You didn't need much, now that you could actually choose what to wear free of repercussions, so you quickly got ready and drove up to CeeCee's house.

At the club, things didn't go as expected. You weren't feeling the vibe, too crowded even for the club, a lot of arguments everywhere, too many drunken people, the music was way too loud and you had lost your friend. Great!

You went to the bartender she had been flirting all night with to ask him if he'd seen her.

"Hey, sorry to bother you, but have you seen my friend? The one with the red dress and the orange hair?", you knew he hadn't forgotten her, she was the kind of woman to draw attention.

"Uhmm, I haven't seen her in a while. She told me she needed a smoke"

"Oh okay, thanks."

Her and her cigarettes. You went looking for her but it was impossible for you to move without bumping into people, so of course, you inevitably stepped on a few exposed toes, earning curse words here and there.

When you got outside, oxygen filling your lungs in the most welcoming way, you sighed. Of course she had someone's tongue down her throat while you were worriedly looking for her.

You giggled, happy she got her slice of cake, relieved she was okay.

"Well, imma call it a night", you said out loud.
You would text her so she'd know you left.

"Miss?" You turned to the voice next to you, a slight hint of apprehension in his tone.

"I'm sorry to bother you but you dropped this back there".

Oh my god! It was your car keys! Thank the heavens! You quickly took the keys back, almost not looking at the person who'd retrieved them. And when you did... it was a mistake!