Chapter two :Too Good to be True

Thalia:

Life is a test, right? A test we all hadn't studied for. I dropped my backpack on the wooden floor and slammed the door shut. My eyes trailed the dimly lit kitchen and narrow corridor. I sighed heavily and dragged my bag up the stairs.

After lunch, things went downhill fast. Whenever I closed my eyes I was instantly transported to my dream or I had shivered. I climbed up the stairs, passed the narrow hallway towards my room and made sure I emailed Andrew to come over because I did not want to be home alone with my dad who cheated once again. Lined above the stairwell was a painting of Mary, Mother of Yeshua and a wooden crucifix. Honestly, my dad was pissed off whenever he saw that. He wasn't as religious as my mother and I but me too. I opened my door, padded to my bed then plopped on it. I didn't care that I didn't switch on my lights but I rolled and stared at my glow-in-the-dark stars and admired the light.

At school I got in trouble numerous times because sometimes I daydreamed but or doodle when I bored or confused. I sketched but what I sketched where not doodles. I drew on the margins of skulls, bones and ice in the middle of history. I gaped at my sheet as it was snatched from me.I was so embarrassed.

Why are you so obsessed with death, Thalia?

I don't know.

I watched as the sun dip below the horizon when the doorbell chimed. My lips curled with joy and in less than two minutes, I changed and cleaned my room. Four more minutes, I ran down the wooden stairs, glared at my dad who watched the news and opened the door. I expected to see Andrew but instead I saw my mother. I wrapped my arms around her waist, and she ruffled my hard curls but then again, it was too short.

My mother was petite and looked like a doll compared to my dad but it was common because my dad was huge. She worked a long shift at a local clinic but that was a lie. She wore her scrubs and looked exhausted but she kind of copied my style and she wore long sleeves with everything. She long ago braided her hair into knotless braids to avoid going to the salon. Instant regret.

"Mom,"I croaked. "You're back. How was work? "I asked, I couldn't contain my excitement as I stepped on my tippy toes as she entered into the house, looked around and forced a relaxed smile. I noticed something strange. My mother was far younger than my dad but I was being paranoid as I tugged her wrist and sat her down at the small wooden table by the counter.

"Work was great, honey. How was school?" She asked, her warm, brown eyes twinkled.

"I-It was okay." I stammered, drummed my thin fingers on the wooden surface as I tried to form a lie and my eyes darted to a crucifix nearby. My mom cocked her head to the side, pursed her pink lips into a thin line and nodded.

"If there is anything wrong, Thalia. You know you can tell me?" My mother advised, as I balled my fist on my jeans and forced a nod. I can't keep lying but what about my dad.

He'll call us weak.

Screw him.

My mother got up, sighed heavily then climbed up the stairs and she didn't spare my dad a glance. The doorbell chimed again as a loud, annoyed chuckle escape from his mouth. I groaned then opened it as Andrew grinned at me but frowned at my dad. I raised a brow and dragged him up the stairs as he tried to greet my father but he shot me a death glare.

"Whore." he spat as Andrew's eyes widened.

"You're a church boy, right?" I spoke obnoxiously loud as Andrew nodded slowly.

"Um, g-good morning, sir." Alex screamed, my father shook his head and turned his back as us.

"Good evening." I corrected.