Chapter 6: Study Date

Thalia:

My life has switched in a matter of weeks, and it felt like it was just flashing by like a time lapse, a race and I have no time to breathe. Everything blurs and passes by me, and I can barely register. I sneaked in my friend's email addresses into my cell without my dad's knowledge.

I remember that I woke up to my waking nightmare. The sky still navy-blue, cold and alone. I woke up the same time covered in sweat and shivering and every time it gets worse and scarier than the last.

This one, I was stumbling in a thin layer of ice that stenches to the horizon. The white moon an orb in the sky. The ice blew sideways as I was showered in flakes of small. My arms and feet were bare as I prowled on the ice. Someone screamed, it was loud and incomprehenable at my left but it was carried by the cold air as it turned my blood solid into my bones as my teeth chattered. I staggered into the snow, drowning my feet as I trudged further into it then like lightening something pierced into my back. I twisted as a shrill, high scream escaped my lips as I collapsed into the ground not minding the biting snow. I could feel it as the ice ran true my veins freezing my blood as I was sprawled on the ground. My chest rose and fell as flaky ice froze me from the inside as heat killed my fingertips and my breathes become uneven. The ice squeezed the air out of my lungs as it grew on me as my screams rebounded. A blurred figure of a boy and his muffled screams as my eyes froze open. It killed me slowly.

***

When I walked down the hallway, I was shaking all over but that didn't help because I slipped on a sweater. My sweater clunged to my back and sweat formed rivulets down my back and beads formed on my forehead. My hands trembled, my teeth rattled and I shivered.

It must be the aftershock.

My morning was sour and the house was oddly quiet and the air was peaceful apart from the cars that honked and the voices of people that carried into the air. My parents slept in their room together. I quietly did everything and took a snack and slipped off.

I wasn't hungry.

But then again, I never was.

After shoving my books into my bag, I went to class as Hayley, bright-eyed and happy, pushed her desk beside mine and waved me over as everyone snapped their heads and murmured, pointed or glared at me as Diana's lips curled and her silver eyes glittered mischievously. Nate mimicking dirty looks at Diana as he made a little origami frog and flung a paper ninja star at Diana. I laughed as Hayley cramped her mouth shut. Nate grinned, all teeth.

The nightmare hovered like a thick fog but seemed to fade at this moment.

At lunch, Hayley and I sat at our usual spot on long rectangular tables with air conditioned, ultra-modern and squeaky clean cafeteria but despite the chill .I was freezing and sweating. Everyone about was white like a hospital with occasionally bulletin boards with menus and clubs and etc. There were healthy posters everywhere in this gigantic cafeteria. The dream rattled me and I was in a bundle of nerves. We were at the back as students zipped back and forth after the collected their lunch and sat with their peers. Two tables beside us was Nate and Sasha who lost in a deep conversation as Nate gave me and unusually Hayley daggers at us..

Everyone seems to have bad blood with one another today.

"I thought you guys are friends? "Hayley asked, her eyebrows raised.

I shrugged and grabbed a knot from my skirt." I don't think we will be ever friends," I paused and stared at her as her eyes flickered to passer-by's as her expression sours.