Chapter 23:The Countdown

Thalia:

October 2011

Twelve hours till disappearance

My mother scowled at me,face heated."The school called me over at work.Is it true that you had detention ?"She shrieked ,her voice went to a shrill.I cringed at my moms tone.I was on our sidewalk that led to the path.A dog barked at my right and a kid laughed at me.I sent him a glare that made him whimper.He shut up.I neared the pathway at the foot of the stairs as a hose pooled in another house.

"Yes,"I replied ,my voice hoarse.

My mothers eyes widened then she let out a sigh. "Is everything alright ?''She pressed,her tone livid and her face swollen with anger.She realised ,sighed heavily as her lips pursed into a thin line.She then inclined her head ,eyes cloudy with thought.

"Yes,"I lied."I'm fine."Another lie.

Then I climbed the stairs and entered.Much to my mothers annyonce.My eyes landed on the dark hardwood floor as I avoided my moms suddenly calm demeanor.She pressed her crocks together and smoothed her scrubs.She released a sigh, "You can tell me."She said her voice soft.I stared straight ahead ,gripped the straps tight.

No,I couldn't.Would she even believe me ?The dreams ,the drawings and the tricks my mind played on me.

"No,"I said with gritted teeth ,eyes glossy.She sniffed behind me ,hurt about my reply.And she shuffled and sidestepped. "I'm sorry."she replied.I snapped my gaze to her ,lips parted but then she circled the kitchen counter ,sink basin gurgled.Murmurs echoed from the television.

That sorry took me off guard like a slap.What did she mean by sorry?My feet creaked on the foot of the stairs.

"Why did you have detention ?"My mother repeated ,her voice rose.My back tensed,my breath hitched and my lips went slack."Do you know what time it is ?Do you know how long I waited for you?"

She took a deep breath as her footsteps echoed and she was right behind me."Answer me !Did you even hear me?"A lump got stuck on my throat.

"A rumour,"I replied.

"Thalia,why would you do such a thing?"She lectured ,her voice thick with her Ghanaian accent.

"I didn't spread it exactly. I was actually at the counsellor's office when someone spread it ."

"Jesus,Lord Jesus have mercy on my soul."My mother prayed ,eyes cast upwards with her voice still thick with home.She rested her back against the wall and shook her head."What have I done wrong?"My mother asked herself as her gaze went to the light then the cross.Then her eyes widened to a horrified saucers."Wait,"She began,"The consular?"Her voice faltered,soft with emotion.I watched my mother with newfound surprise that her eyes held a flickered of high flashed in her eyes before it extinguished faster than it built .She took a step forward."What did you tell them ?Did they believe you ?How did she react ?Is the evidence still there?"She was bombarded with questions ,all eager and hopeful.She placed her hands on my shoulders.

"Yes,"I croaked,a small smile curled on my lips and eyes glossy with tears."I did tell her everything."I lied.Again.Sorry,mom.I couldn't tell her everything.How he abused us but the bad habits I did.When he assaulted me.

Ten.A deep light misty voice prickled my head.My whole body froze,my eyes glassy as everything muffled and the world drained.I couldn't move as shivers ran through my spine.

What?

Ten.

"I did."I replied in what felt like hours and days before my nerves returned as I recalled how instantly my body shut down.