Chapter five: The Young Tutor

Chapter 5: The Young Tutor

Nate:

September 2011

Over the course of the week, I started to notice things about the new student. That she often sat alone at lunch using her phone, studying intently or reading. That she always sketched on a free time, or she looked like she cried in the girl's bathroom.

Everyone said I could be smart if I used my mind to it or that the fact, I refused to use it. Hayley, an Asian girl with long black hair and dark brown eyes decided to sit by Thalia at late and from then on, they've been buddies.

***

It was Gym time. It was the only class that we could either be in the indoor Gym, track or swim but today our gym teacher wanted us to be outside. We were currently in our designated jerseys. I was in my green jersey with the golden crest with two sizes too big shorts. The sky was a bright blue with the white sun refracting light on our bright clothes as we jogged around the giant manicured field. At the first round, I was already panting as through the bright light, I glared at Sasha, whose niceness melted off her face and was replaced with seriousness and competionness. She removed the feather from her hair and placed her hair into a tight bun and face plastered with a tight scowl. She stood in between the coach and the Gym teacher with a bright yellow jersey and shorts.

She was literally a tiny speck over ten meters away. I stopped stared at the sky and panted again when Hayley and Dian were openly arguing as they ran across the field.

Cheaters.

Sasha grabbed her whistle and blew it her cheeks flushed and beads of sweat glistened on her forehead and I swear she got tanned.

"Everyone. Go to your positions!" She commanded as everyone ran and formed a line as she grabbed her clipboard and stood in front of us. I flinched as she looked over all of us and ticked our names. I gulped.

Did I mention before that she was the nicest and least judgmental girl you'd ever meet? Yes, I did. I take it back. When it comes to sports, she's the most aggressive and mean in the field. She didn't become the junior girls' soccer captain for nothing.

She called each students names as they said' present' but Thalia was nowhere to be seen. Speak of the devil and he shall appear. She jogged across the cobblestoned ground to us as she panted as she apologized as Sasha glared at us, Hayley shrugged, and Diana snickered, and I grinned.

I get why the Gym teacher, Mrs. Huggins didn't speak mainly, because she didn't have too thanks to Sasha. She looked like she went to a boot camp for a year. She was made of muscle, broad shouldered and head a severe-looking face but she towered over all of us, and the brown pixie cut didn't make her look great. She dressed in an old, smelly tracksuit as a middle-aged blonde lady who I assumed was a soccer mom, stood next to her.

We were twelve students with each of our designated colours like blue, yellow, green and red.

"You're late." Sasha hissed.

"I'm sorry. I got lost." She mumbled and flinched. Sasha crossed her arms as Thalia squeezed next to me.

I thought I was the only one who stared at her, but everyone whispered or gave her weird looks. Everyone knew Thalia wore long sleeves and leggings with her uniform but with her P.E was a bit overkill. For one thing isn't it hot or wouldn't you sweat.

"What the hell are you wearing? "I blurted.

She shrugged," How is it your business?"

"How are you not sweating? "I pressed.