Chapter 13: The Devil's lair

Nate walked beside me as we went towards World History class. He clutched his books to his chest as his eyes darted back and forth and ears perked. I knew Nate wasn't hundred per cent telling the truth. Even though he talked and laughed with others. It was either forced laughs or dark, unfunny jokes and whenever he left, his eyes were downcast and he hunched. All his energy was drained after he talked with his peers and he always observed his surroundings from the tiniest sound or his eyes were glued to windows or he froze with a horrified expression. His eyes flickered from their bright to faded colour, his skin glistened with sweat and his fingers or eyes twitched.

Nate wasn't frank but his body language showed me otherwise.

He was only fifty per cent. He averted his head and clutched his books tighter with a bowed head. His furrowed brows wrinkled his forehead.

"You haven't been completely frank with me, you know that," I whispered, tagging the hem of his worn, knitted sweater.

He laughed nervously and smiled crookedly. "W-What, I'm fine." He stammered and fidgeted.

"Nate," I pressed.

He sighed heavily as his shoulders tensed then relaxed," Yeah, I'm not a hundred me but hey, I'm better," He repeated then sighed." I know you might know me but I want to go back to your house." He answered.

I was taken aback. I staggered as I stared at him wide-eyed with a clenched fist. "What!" I yelled, passerby glanced over their shoulders and whispered. The janitor, a blonde-haired man, paused and gawked at us. He squeezed his lips at mid-whistle. He held a stick of the brown on his broad shoulder. "Nate, are you hearing yourself after what happened? You wanna go back!" I screamed.

"Thalia," Nate said.

"No, does that mean –no after all he did." I croaked, tears brimming in my eyes.

"Thalia," Nate cried, outstretched and I whirled away from him. He shouldn't see me cry. I balled my fist.

"Thalia, listen to me. I-It's not like that. I have a plan, it's not foolproof but I have a plan." I sniffled as he grabbed my fist and pulled me close. He tightened his grip on my hands as I averted my gaze and Nate frowned with his green eyes wild with worry.

"W-why did you say that? You got me so worried. I'm starting to get worried about you. I was scared that you wanted to go back and I was scared that I lost you even though you scare the living daylights out of me."

A sad, heavy sigh escaped his lips as he shook his head." No," he stated, he ran his hands through his curls and smiled," I-I think I can get some dirt on your dad. I believe you had nothing to do with it but I thought it was a plan. It evaporated long ago when you cried and took care of me. I knew that I could trust you. "He said nervously.

Involuntary, tears rolled out from my eyes as I hastily wiped them with my elbows. I rarely cried unless I was overwhelmed with emotions with strong emotions or stressed but loosing another person because of my dad. I can't keep living like this.

"The study," Nate croaked, pounding a fist with determination," I have suspicions. You in."

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm in but," I paused and groaned," he's my dad. He's powerful and people hate me a lot but they adore him."

I sniffled as I entered the class. When I walked with Nate earlier, his fingers accidentally intertwined with mine. It was soft and warm. My lips curled.

What the hell! I shook my head. Ew.

Some students whispered and shot glares at me.

"...dating him."