Chapter 12 - Searching for Closure

Abhimanyu and Akshara stared at each other. Unsure of what to do, or even how to react. Should they talk about last night? Or let it go. Pretend like it never happened? Pretend like they didn't spend the entire night wrapped in each other's arms.

Abhimanyu was furious. Hurt. Angry. Sure, nothing more could happen between them but the least she could have done was stayed until the morning and given both of them a proper goodbye. Closure. But no, she chose to run. And he was choosing not to chase.

Akshara stared awkwardly at the man standing right in front of her. Mimi was right in her wisdom. Never run away from things because they eventually have a way of catching up to you. Should she say something? Apologize? Clear out the situation before they met their families and somehow made it even more awkward?

"Sir, aap ka bas yeh hi samaan hai?" The driver interrupted both their train of thoughts.

Abhimanyu nodded his head. "Haan. I like to travel light in case I have to leave at the drop of a hat without telling anyone." Abhimanyu quipped, side eying Akshara making Akshara look away in shame. "Woh kya hai na, I don't want to trouble anyone. Isiliye." He added, smiling at the driver.

As Abhimanyu helped the driver load all their luggage into the car, Akshara took a deep breath to calm her nerves. He was mad at her, evidently so but she also had her reasons for leaving the way she did. She just didn't know if she should tell him that or if he'd understand. He should right? Understand that is. But did she want to talk to him? Should she talk to him?

Akshara took another deep breath and turned to get into the car. As she moved to open the rear door, she saw that Abhimanyu was already sitting inside, facing the front and not even acknowledging her presence. The Abhimanyu sitting in the car right now was not the Abhimanyu who had helped her on the plane with her panic attacks and at the airport with her wallet and phone.

This Abhimanyu was cold, rude, petty and almost borderline vindictive. That Abhimanyu would have opened the car door for her and helped her in the car first. She missed that Abhimanyu. But she also knew she hurt that Abhimanyu. Maybe she did deserve this.

Akshara moved her hand away from the handle of the car and went around the car to sit on the other side of the rear passenger seat. Abhimanyu and Akshara looked out their respective windows, slithering in silence as the car made headway towards The Leela Palace located on Lake Pichkola. They both had much to say to each other but neither was ready to make the first move.

As the view of the lake came into their peripheral vision, a slow and melodious song started playing on the radio.

Do dil mil rahe hain
Magar chupke chupke

Akshara glanced at Abhimanyu from the corner of her eye. He was still looking straight ahead, still not acknowledging her. Why? Why this song?! As if it wasn't already awkward enough.

Sabko ho rahi hai
Haan sabko ho rahi hai
Khabar chupke chupke

Abhimanyu gave a glance towards Akshara. She was looking out the window, staring at the lake. How?! How could she be so calm and composed after last night? How could she act like nothing ever happened between them?

Do dil mile rahe hain
Magar chupke chupke

Akshara and Abhimanyu sneaking glances at each other only worked for so long until they found each other looking at each other at exactly the same moment. The song kept playing in the background as they stared at each other. Their eyes doing all the talking that they were afraid to do.