Chapter 25 - Goodbye, Akshara

Abhimanyu open the door to see a restless batch of Goenka's just waiting to be let in, not an ounce of patience in sight:

"How is she?!" Manish Goenka asked, trying to overlook Abhimanyu's shoulders at his granddaughter.

"Will she be able to dance?" Saanj questioned, rushing over to be by her sisters side.

"Is her ankle broken, fractured? Hum bata rahe hai, humare paas ek bahut acha lape hai. Bahut sukoon milega uske saath."

"No Mimi. Just relax. Nothing is broken, or fractured. It's just a minor sprain —"

"Sprain?! That means she won't be able to dance at the Sangeet?!" Saanj asked, worried more about their dance performance than Akshara's health.

"Minor. It's a minor sprain. All she needs is to rest her foot and not walk or run around too much and keep applying the anti-inflammation ointment I gave her. And then she'll be up and running in no time." He updated Mimi and Bade Papa as Akshara called him about her health.

"And yes, that means she will be able to dance her heart out at the Sangeet too." He turned to answer Saanj's silent question, giving Akshara a quick glance before turning back to Mimi and Bade Papa.

"And her ribs?" Shefali asked, joining in on the conversation.

"They are completely fine. A bit bruised but that is just because she had a nasty fall. But again, nothing to worry about as long as she gets proper rest, at least for a day or so." He explained.

Shefali nodded her head, "Thank you for your help."

"I'm a doctor. Helping patients is our duty first and foremost. I would have done it for anyone." He answered blankly, making Akshara's head lower in shame.

Anyone. She was an anyone to him. But it served her right. She had broken his heart and hers. And there was no going back from where they stood. She just had to accept it.

Yes. Anyone. He would have helped anyone in this situation. He would have. But he wouldn't have cried for them. Not be scared for them. Because those patients wouldn't have been Akshara Goenka, the girl he had fallen hopelessly and irrevocably in love with in a matter of a few hours.

He turned around to face Akshara, giving her one final glance. "Goodbye, Akshara. Take care." His face was stone cold, his voice —eerily calm.

And with those last words, he bid adieu to the Goenka's and turned on his heel and left, wiping away the one lone tear that had managed to seep its way out on the corner of his eyes and roll down his cheek.

Heartbreak. What she was feeling was no less than a heartbreak. And it was all her damned fault. She was responsible for hurting the both of them. And for what? Her family? She was letting who could possibly be the love of her life slip through her fingers because she wanted to fulfill her familial duties?

"Akshara, you okay?" Shefali asked, growing concerned by her sisters swollen eyes and her puffy red lips.

"Yes. Just...just tired." Her voice broke as she tried to gather herself up and make sense of the mess she had created for herself and...and Abhimanyu too.

"Toh phir tu soo ja bacha. Rest kar. We won't disturb you. Khaana bhi hum tere room mein serve karadenge." Bade Papa offered.

"Okay." Saanj helped Akshara lay back down on her bed and pulled her covers up to her chin.

"Text me if you need anything, okay?" Shefali ordered, before dragging an unwilling Saanj out of the bedroom.

"Sab theek ho jayega, Akshu." Mimi ran her fingers through Akshara's hair, stroking her head before leaving.