Chapter 43 - Will You Marry Me?

As Abhimanyu walked up the stairs of the terrace at just a minute to go to midnight, a strange tingling sensation began to overpower him. A strange sense of wonder began to take a hold in his stomach.

As he reached the top of the stairs, he saw Akshara standing on a blanket, in the middle of the terrace. The entire terrace leading up to where she was standing was covered in red and pink rose petals along with a fairy lights brightening up the entire space.

Abhimanyu's eyes roamed over Akshara as she stood waiting for him, bare feet, wearing a red satin dress that hit her right above the knees. She had the innocence of an enchanting princess with the right mix of sultry seductress. Perfection. Absolute perfection.

"Akshara?" He questioned, uncertainly as he went to stand in front of her, trying his hardest to not reach out and touch her silky smooth skin.

Akshara stared at Abhimanyu, standing before her wearing blue jeans and a white shirt, the classic boy next door look, making him look hotter than he always was.

Hot. And hers.

Akshara hesitated, her nerves getting the best of her. "Abhimanyu, this is something I've been wanting to do since I said I love you and I couldn't find a better time or place to do it other than now, this exact place  and this exact moment."

Abhimanyu's brows furrowed as he watched Akshara in confusion, trying to make sense of her words.

Akshara took a deep breath to calm her nerves. She then went down on one knee, holding out one single rose for Abhimanyu.

Abhimanyu watched in shock and surprise, baffled as Akshara went down on one knee in front of him, holding out a rose.

"For you." She whispered.

Abhimanyu stretched out his hand to hold the rose, as he placed his hands in hers. They wrapped their fingers around each other's hands, holding the rose in the middle.

Akshara stared directly into Abhimanyu's eyes, letting him know that she meant each and every word that was about to come out of her mouth.

"Abhimanyu Birla. The first time I met you was 35000 feet above the ground. But little did I know our paths were destined to cross even before were seated beside each other in that flying metal tube. You were the first man I ever kissed. And now you will be the last and only man I will ever kiss for the rest of my life. And I wouldn't have it any other way. You are the only man I want to kiss for the rest of my life." Tears of pure joy danced sr the edge of her eyes.

Abhimanyu felt his throat clog up at Akshara's words as an endless smile encompassed his lips. He heart was bursting with pride, joy, with pure unadulterated, selfless love.

"You annoyed me, made me angry, made me cry, made me sad, made me emotional, made me laugh, but most importantly made me believe in love. You taught me to love myself, love you, love us. And that is what I want for the rest of my life, for the rest of our lives."

Akshara nodded her head in understanding, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I want to annoy you, be annoyed by you, laugh with you, cry with you, be angry with you, pacify you."

Akshara wiped the tears from her eyes, just as Abhimanyu wiped the light dust of tears that had started to pool up around his lower water line.

"What I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter if  life gives us lemons, there is no one else I the entire world with whom I'd want to turn those lemons into lemonade. Only you. It was, is, and always will be you. I love you Dr. Abhimanyu Birla, and would you please do me the honour of marrying me?"