Chapter 28 - Let Me Go

He had been avoiding Akshara the entire day, hoping his lack of presence would make her realize she could lose him —forever. He hated himself for making her sad, upset but he also needed her to reflect on her feelings, to understand that what she felt for him, what they felt for each other ran deeper than the promises, the sense of gratitude to their families.

He wanted her to realize that it was okay to chose love, that it was okay to fall in love, that it was okay to choose him.

It was just a little before dinner time, while Abhimanyu was finalizing last minute wedding preparations with Parth and Neil when he saw a worried Kairav walking up to him.

"Abhimanyu, I need to talk to you."

He nodded his head and got up to stand in front of Kairav. "Yes?"

"It's about Akshu."

"Kairav...I know what I'm doing. Whatever I'm doing is for her." Abhimanyu reassured.

"I know that. I trust you. And I also want Akshu to break free from the invisible shackles she has surrounded herself with in the name of family. But please Abhimanyu, I'm just saying this as a concerned brother, please don't let this charade go on for longer than necessary."

"I won't." He promised.

"Akshu is sad. And everyone can see it. My sister —who was so excited to take part in all the wedding festivities is just sitting in a corner, her eyes red and puffy as if she hasn't stopped crying for hours. I know Bade Papa won't ever say anything to you but even he is concerned about Akshu."

"I know you're all concerned about Akshu as you should because you love her and can't watch her suffer. But I love her too. And I'm doing all this for her, for us. Because even though I am the guy she is agreeing to say yes to, only we all and I know that. She doesn't. What if I wasn't that guy you had chosen for her? Then what? Would she have happily married someone else then? Just give me some more time. And then I'll tell her all the truth myself. I promise." Abhimanyu confessed, wanting Kairav to see the reason behind his actions.

Because what if Akshara had been promised to someone else and not him? Then what? Was their love so shallow, so weak that she wouldn't even fight for it? No, he refused to believe it. Refused to accept it.

Kairav glanced over at Neil and Parth for support, but they just shook their heads, silently telling Kairsv to drop the topic. Because they knew when it came to Akshara, Abhimanyu won't listen to anyone else but his own heart.

Akshara walked into the main hall to see Abhimanyu and Kairav standing on opposing ends, drowning in what looked to be a serious conversation. What could they possibly be talking about?

In his peripheral vision he saw Akshara walking up to them, and quickly changed the topic of conversation between Kairav and him as to not raise any suspicion.

"So the entire decor will be done by tomorrow. We already ordered the backdrops and floral arrangements." Kairav glanced up at him in confusion until Abhimanyu raised his eyebrows and shifted his neck slyly to the right to make him aware of an incoming Akshara.

"Bhaiyaa, aap yahaan? Dinner nahin karna?" She came up to stand beside her brother, while glancing at Abhimanyu to gauge his reaction.

Abhimanyu's jaw ticked as he again wore the mask of indifference for Akshara.

"Nahin Akshu, of course dinner karna hai, bas we were planning for last minute wedding arrangements. We have very little time remaining you see." The lie slipped out of Kairav's mouth a bit too easily.