Chapter 9

[Colby Brock:

The feel and smell of slobber coating my face the next day acted as my alarm for the day, but this one I couldn't slap off. I shot up straight when a heavy force suddenly stomped down on my now crushed testicles that I clutched with tears brimming in my eyes.

I heard an amused huff from the other side of the room as I slowly guided the hyper dog off me and ran my hands over my tired face. When I dropped my hands, I looked at Sam with half-open eyes and almost broke out into laughter if it weren't for his deadly glare on me.

His hair stuck out in different directions and red bed stains flushed both his forehead and cheek and as much as I wanted to laugh, I didn't want to be staring at the end of a barrel again.

I got up after Sam left the room and stripped off my shirt, throwing it at the end of the mattress I slept on before grabbing an old worn out shirt that was suitable enough for the farm. Once I was done and ready, I climbed down the stairs and grabbed a banana from the counter before joining Mr. Icy boy in the field.

The sun was shining heavily on the farm and the chirping and twittering birds interrupted the morning silence that I yearned so badly for.

"Grandfather must've told you already," Sam spoke up for the first time today as we walked through the tall grass and towards a large wooden barn house. "about my name." He continued and I nodded in agreement.

"And that's all you're going to know. I'll be blunt, I don't like you, and the only reason you're still around is because of my grandfather. So don't get comfortable and buddy buddy with me, I'll say this from the start." He practically spat out, now facing me when we stopped walking."That's all I have to say to you and I hope you accept that." He continued.

I stared at him for a few seconds before silently nodding and walking past him into the barn. I guess not everyone is as welcoming as the old man but I shouldn't have expected otherwise from Sam. Something must've happened to make him this distant and cold. Maybe I was getting too comfortable too quickly for their liking.-Night began to settle after a long day of working and my constant thoughts and worries began to stress me out. The thought of my parents, school, life, began to stack onto my other troubles and dampen my already frustrated mood. The thought that all this could've been avoided if I stayed in the closet ran through my mind constantly but at the same time I felt relieved to let it out. Despite being outed unwillingly.

In times like this I really needed a smoke despite my preference not to. I needed to cool my head and ease the pounding headache that poked at me through the full day. I needed something to distract me and yet there was nothing that can.

I pulled out my phone in attempt to calm down but only got more frustrated when I remembered my parents had gotten me this phone. It was the first every thing they've gifted to me instead of sending me with money to buy it on my own. It was from them, and so I never changed it nor replaced it with a newer one.

I clenched my fingers around the phone before shoving it back into my pocket and sighing lightly. Silent creaks erupted behind me and I pushed away from the rail, looking back at the new visitor.

I smiled politely at the grandfather and calmed down when he came and stood next to me. I sighed sadly and looked out into the dark distance when I felt a comforting arm land on my back.

"You miss them, don't you.." he spoke, making my eyes widen. "How..-" "Sonny," he started. "no one comes this from the city if nothing was wrong. Sam's mother was-"

"I-I apologize Mr. Golbach, but I don't think you should tell me this. If Sam isn't willing to tell me, a stranger, then I want to follow his wishes and keep out of it." I interrupted politely, expecting to have accidently offended him.

A few silent moments passed and I glanced back at him, not expecting to find a soft smile on his wrinkled, aged face. He patted my shoulder twice and let out a heavy breath before turning to walk back inside.

"You're a good kid, Mr. Brock."

-777 words