Chapter 12

[Colby Brock:

I sit on the mattress -which I now call my bed- pouring cleaning alcohol on the cut I got in the barn in attempt to disinfect it. Rain started to pour after breakfast finished so we ended up stuck at home with nothing to do. A day off you could say.

After Sam stormed out last night, I ended up wrapping the cut poorly but enough so it was covered and not very exposed to any bacteria or dirt. Which is how I found myself muttering a few "fucks" and "goddamnit" 's every time I messed up or ended up hurting myself instead of healing. I bit my lip harshly when the alcohol stung terribly and threw my head back as I tried not to use vulgar curse words as my next language.

I panted lightly when the sting slowly yet painfully died down and sighed in relief. I grabbed the cloth from next to me and began dabbing it against the wound.

This went on for a few more minutes until I heard a little creak near the doorway. I snapped my head in the direction of the sound and blushed in embarrassment when I saw Sam leaning near the door watching me struggle with judging eyes.

He rolled his bright blue eyes in annoyance and walked into the room. "Idiot." He muttered as he took the cloth from my hand and took my arm, kneeling down beside me and slowly tilting my arm to the side.

"Of course you don't know how to clean a cut. City boy's got enough money to feed a whole village and yet you spend it on jewelry and hair dye instead of your health." He shook his head with a 'tch and I realized he was talking about my ring.

I took off my ring and stared at it thought. "It was a present.." I trailed off quietly but I could tell Sam was listening. "I was seven when my dad gave me this. That was the first and last time I saw him smile at me like that. He told me to cherish this, that it was handed down to him by his father just like he did to me." I smiled weakly, shaking my head lightly.

"I was so happy, I bragged about it to my friends the next day." I chuckled quietly and put the ring in my pocket. It's useless to keep but I couldn't get rid of it just yet.

Sam's response remained silent but I was glad he refrained from insulting me any further or commenting one of his smart remarks. But his silence confirmed something I've been thinking about recently. Sam's a rude and disrespectful guy, but he had his limits no matter who the person his attitude was directed to.

He didn't even know my story and yet he could've pried further and shot me one of his other remarks and as much as it irritated me, I'm glad he didn't in a time like this.

A little tap on my arm broke me out of my thoughts and I realized Sam was done and my arm was properly wrapped and cleaned off nicely. I turned my arm to inspect it and relaxed visibly.

"It should heal nicely now but it'll start irritating you so don't scratch it." He said as he packed up the medical kit and stood up. Before he could leave though, I took a hold of his hand making him stop in place. "Let go-"

"Thank you, Sam." I cut him off quietly, letting go when he remained quiet and his hand remained stiff. He walked out without a glance towards me and I hoped I didn't go too far again.

Night later fell over the farm and the moon replaced the sun dimly. The rain had died down as well and a peaceful silence took over the house. Mr. Golbach returned in the mid of the rain with appliances for the house and some bucket hats to expand his hat collection. Consequently we sat through dinner listening as he talked on about the lucky offer he was given for the hats. It was nice if anything.

After dinner ended, he gave us his farewell and went to bed leaving only Sam and I along with a sleeping Barni. Sam as per usual didn't utter a word even when I tried to start conversation which had me worried my actions from before was the cause of it.

I let out a frustrated sigh as I clean the last of the plates I offered to wash and climbed back upstairs where Sam had already beat me to. When I entered, his back was facing towards me but it was clear he was still awake.

I shut the door behind me with a little click and took off my shoes. "I'm sorry for what I did today, Sam. You were helping me and I shouldn't have crossed the boundaries the way I did." I finally said, feeling a heavy weight lift off my chest.

At this point I didn't know if he was awake or not or he was just ignoring me. Even so, I hope he heard it because I've never found apologizing so hard before-

As relieved as I felt for apologizing, little did I know, the next day was going to be a brutal pain in the ass. And I mean brutal.

-905 words