Chapter 13

[Sam Golbach:

I was going insane. I hated him. I hated his face, I hated listening to his voice, I hated all of him. When he speaks so quietly it makes me want to punch him and drag out that City boy attitude of his.

The rude, self-centered bastard that I'm sure is somewhere under this facade of his. Just like all of them. No person is this tolerant and naive to the point where they think they can just change someone with a few kind words and favors.

And yet when he looks at me the way he does, I don't know what to think anymore. I don't know what to feel. I know his manipulative ways. I know how he tries to get closer to me thinking I'll open up to him with a magic snap of his fingers. For someone as stupid as him I'm surprised he was even able to survive out of the city for this long.

Why won't he understand that he's not welcomed here? Why won't he understand that I don't want him anywhere near me let alone in my life? And why can't I understand these confusing feelings he makes me feel when he talks to me? Looks at me.

And yesterday. Why did his apology affect me like that? Why did his skin against mine lower my will to kill him on the spot? That night, his gentle fingers around my hand. It made my heart skip a beat, it made me feel all tingly and weird. And I hated that I wanted to feel his touch again.

It wasn't because I was flustered or in shock, no, it was because no one has ever laid a hand so gentle and careful like I was some delicate jewle that could perish under a gust of wind. I couldn't find myself getting mad at him despite how much I wanted to chop him into pieces for even laying a hand on me.

At this point, I was wide awake and staring at the wall with the numerous thoughts spinning through my head. I'm surprised there wasn't a dent in the wall due to how hard I was staring at it.

I heard a soft groan erupt from Colby on the other side of the room and stiffened. When it went quiet I slowly turned around, sighing in relief when I realized he was still asleep. I was not ready to face him just yet. I let out a tired sigh and rolled out of bed with a little stretch before walking past the sleeping boy and stepping into the bathroom.

When I finished my shower and started getting dressed, the sudden clattering of a pan and glass breaking erupted from downstairs.

My heart dropped.

I sprinted out of the room with tears almost pouring out of my eyes as I descended the stairs and rushed into the kitchen. "GRANDPA!" I screamed in terror when I spotted him on the ground and sprinted towards him with a sob starting to crawl up my throat.

I dropped down next to him in panic, turning him to the side so I could see if he's alright and still breathing. His face was pale and tired and his eyes were barely open as he groaned weakly. I clenched my jaw to stop myself from sobbing and slowly helped him off the ground, when Colby came running downstairs and to my side.

He helped me carry grandpa into his room instantly and helped him on the bed before rushing back into the kitchen and getting a bowl of warm water and a cloth. I pressed my hand against his forehead and surely, he was burning up making me wipe the single tear that managed to escape.

"I-I'm okay, Sam." He croaked out raspily as he tried to open his eyes. "No, sleep. I-I'll get help soon." I spoke shakily and took the wet cloth from Colby and placed it on grandfather's forehead when he walked back in.

I sat on the chair near his bed and held his hand tightly, squeezing it comfortably. "He needs medicine." I teared up, much to my dismay, when grandfather began coughing harshly and groaned quietly. "P-Please, help me." I pleaded, looking at Colby with tears now streaming down my cheeks.

Grandpa always had a weak immune system. And getting sick right now was a very risky situation that I'm not ready to treat lightly. Anything could happen and I wasn't ready to take any chances.

I bet I looked pathetic. With tears streaming down my face and my voice so weak, quiet, desperate. But at this point, I didn't give a fuck. I wasn't going to lose the only person I have left, and as much as I hated asking for anyone's help, this I knew I'd have to do.

Colby nodded without question and ran into the kitchen, snatching the keys off the island and sprinting out to the truck.

And the three words I never thought I'd ever mutter, left my mouth:

"Thank you Colby."

-850 words