Chapter 16

[Colby Brock:

The day after I woke up quite late into the day, instantly being greeted by a wave of pain shooting through my body and head as a late 'good morning sunshine'. It was very well expected and I knew it'd be like this for the rest of this week but I couldn't really do anything except suck it up and bare the consequences.

I let out a defeated sigh, running my hands over my face before sitting up carefully. The sheets around me dropped down so they only covered my waist, exposing my bandaged arms, torso and legs. My back was also bandaged in some severe areas but other than that most of the little bruises around my body were left unbandaged but still treated.

A little groan near me made me jump in place and I looked over instantly, surprised to see Sam asleep next to my mattress. His hair was covering his eyes but he looked so at peace as he slept. His brows weren't shaped in a frown, his soft looking lips weren't in their usual scowl and his face just looked so at ease.

I stared at him with guilty eyes, noticing the cloth still in his hand and some of the bandages unrolled on the ground. Knowing he stayed up treating me made me incredibly guilty yet unbelievably grateful. I couldn't imagine the trouble I would've faced had he not helped me and I owe him so much after all he's done for me.

I gently placed a blanket over him, taking the cloth and bandages from him and packing everything up before getting dressed in a pair of loose grey joggers and a shirt. The house was dead silent when I walked downstairs so I only assumed the old man was still asleep.

I patted Barni's head when I walked into the kitchen and left a note saying I'll be out for a walk. Going for a walk always helped clear my head when I was stressed or bothered so it wasn't the first time I've done something like this. If anything, I've done this more times than the number of girls I used to drop in a week. And I've let down a lot.

-

I ended up in a large field of beautiful white dandelions, each flower swaying in sync after every whoosh of wind that passed through them. It was calming if anything and I enjoyed watching the petals soar away from the flowers that couldn't hold on anymore.

I plucked one out of the ground and swirled it between my two fingers as the small petals flew away and disappeared into the bright sunlight shining down on the bright field.

Mother used to like flowers. As distant and half-hearted as she was, I knew this one thing about her. When I was young my dad would come home everyday with a bunch of different unique flowers wrapped together nicely with a sparkling white bow and a little box of chocolate to greet my mum.

She'd end up clutching her heart with a warm smile and kiss dad on a cheek as a thank you and he'd smile back with just the amount of warmth and happiness her smile held.

And both their smiles ended up mirroring on mine. I loved seeing them happy. Knowing they truly loved each other and kept each other happy. One day, father came home dressed in a nice, neat tuxedo holding a bouquet twice as large as the ones he usually got and a large box of heart-shaped chocolates that he placed under the flowers.

Mom walked into the room after changing from her work clothes and teared up instantly as she walked towards him in shock and happiness. It was the day of their anniversary.

And that day I wished to be able to treat someone with that much love and affection and form a big smile on their faces that could mirror that of my parents'.

But that happiness didn't last long. That happiness plummeted the moment both my parents confessed that they didn't truly love each other, that their love was nothing but a desperate affair they both wanted but couldn't achieve without genuine feelings. And so they remained married for the sake of their company.

Father stopped getting flowers back home and mother stopped greeting him with the warm smile and comforting hug she always gave him. And my smile grew to be one of the the things I couldn't hold dear anymore.

And since then one thought remained burrowed into my mind:

Was love even something worth achieving anymore?

-772 words

(filler chapter)