Chapter 14

[Colby Brock:

I've dealt with crying people before. Especially girls who I broke up with when I had to hide the truth yet found extremely annoying and clingy. Which was one of the obvious reasons why dating guys was much better and less of a nuisance. But seeing Sam in tears moved me in a direction I never thought I'd feel.

My heart churned in pain, like little needles were pricking at it consistently. Seeing the tears leaving Sam's blue eyes made me want to help him without question, to comfort him and tell him that everything will be okay.

Losing someone close to me was not a new feeling, but losing someone to death was something I have yet to experience. So I was far from understanding what fear and heartache Sam was going through. Seeing how broken down he looked, I could tell that that old man meant more to Sam than anyone else did.

And I was willing to help him no matter the cause or no matter consequences. I'd do anything for a bond that strong. I jumped into the old truck the old man owned, turning on the ignition and stepping on the gas instantly as I headed towards the place I once called home. The city.

-

The familiar loud beeping of cars and trucks filled my ears as I entered the city and drove slowly to avoid getting mixed up with the cops. Driving without a license in a city swarming with cops and police officers wasn't such a good idea, especially if the vehicle isn't legally mine to begin with.

I leaned forward in my chair as I searched for a spot to park. When I finally found someone backing out, I drove in closer and claimed it, putting the car into park and getting out.

I pulled up my hood to avoid any familiar faces and walked on the sidewalk towards the little drug store I always used go to when I needed a quick hookup with something.

I walked into the small beat down store, passing by a couple wearing all black and chains as jewelry. It wasn't a new sight since this was kind of a hangout spot delinquents and smokers hung out at. I nodded once at the guy behind the cashier in greeting when I walked in and headed towards the medical sections. Finding what I needed was quite simple since each stand was labeled and I was most familiar with such products. I dropped the two small boxes on the front desk.

The cashier stared at me for a few seconds before glancing behind me briefly and back down to the stuff I took. "ID..?" He asked- more like demanded and I paused when I heard a little shuffling from behind me.

I ignored it and pulled out my wallet. He took the ID from me and flashed a light on it before grinning smugly. "Well hot damn, will you look at that." The guy chuckled, clicking off the little flashlight and dropping the ID on the table.

"It's almost like it's meant to be.." he grinned widely as he stood up, and suddenly the store went dark and the doors clicked shut. Almost like on instinct. I'm trapped.

"What the fuck does that mean-" I started to say when two pairs of rough hands grabbed me by the arms and forced them behind my back in a tight hold. "What the fuck are you doing, bastards." I growled, thrashing in their hold and successfully elbowing one of the guys holding me in the stomach before they grabbed me again.

"You're the famous Robert's kid aren't ya?"

His words made me stop in place, snapping my gaze to the cashier with a look of anger and disgust. He smirked and walked around the cashier towards me. "Ahaa, my lucky day wouldn't you think?" He slurred and clapped his hands once against each other.

"So what if I am?" I spit, trying to launch at him unsuccessfully. There was no way out of this, especially since no one outside could help me either.

"Oh, nothing nothing! Nothing at all!" He mocked, suddenly grabbing the collar of my shirt and pulling me closer to his face with anger burning in his eyes. "Your little daddy here still hasn't repaid his loan. You see, he's borrowed a big~ amount of money from us and has yet to repay it." He taunted, the smell of smoke and alcohol hitting against my face almost making me gag.

"Look, I have nothing to do with my father's deals and affairs. You have any issue with him don't fucking bring me into it." I snapped, cursing every bit of my father for what he was responsible for.

"Hey, look," He started, raising his hands and backing away slowly. "I'll let you go, but make sure you give him this little reminder for me yea?" The guy smiled toothily, nothing but yellow teeth filling my vision before a flying fist replaced it and everything went black.

-

When I returned back home- to the farm house, it was almost dark outside and the sun was half way down hand being replaced by the dim moon. It was still clear enough to drive but had I been any more late I don't think I would've found my way back as easily.

I rushed into the house clutching the bag of medicine in my hand, making sure my hood was covering a portion of my face and hurried towards the old man's room where I assumed Sam was still in.

I quietly knocked on the door, about to walk in when the door was opened for me and Sam walked out instead. His face was evidently exhausted and his eyes were red from crying. I almost wanted to hug him then and there. To just pull into my arms and let him cry until he couldn't no more.

I stared at him in guilt, hating myself for making him wait so long. My heart tightened when a thought came to mind and my eyes widened. Did he-

"He's sleeping." Sam spoke quietly, and I visibly relaxed. His voice though was emotionless, no cold tone or snappy remarks or even a hint of happiness knowing his grandfather was okay.

"Sam, I-I'm sorry-"

"-Thank you." He interrupted, making my eyes widen when tears began to well up in his eyes again. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out, leaving me standing there like a fucking idiot.

"I- ..Hey.. stop crying." I sighed sadly when a few tears slipped down his cheek and he tried wiping them away with his sleeves. "You said he's sleeping now, right?" I asked quietly, gently rubbing away his tears with the pads of my thumbs. He nodded silently.

"He's okay now, it might've been a fever from the rain. He'll be okay. He won't leave you so soon, I know it." I smiled tenderly, handing him the bag of medicine, but making sure my face remained hidden.

"Give him these, I'll go make some soup." I ordered, walking away before he could get suspicious.

-1193 words