Chapter 27

[Sam Golbach:

This time, the pain was ten times worse than the last time. It was midnight and everyone was sleeping. I was laying next to Colby when I felt the need to throw up again. And every time I finished, the feeling resurfaced and I found myself on the bathroom floor leaning over the toilet as I poured my guts out.

I was behind on my eating schedule and Colby noticed it too, so did grandpa. They tried convincing me to eat at dinner and I eventually gave in though with every bite I swallowed made my stomach churn in refusal and objection.

My health was getting worse. I didn't know what it was but I got that it was getting much worse for a simple "I'm sick" and bad enough that a hospital call may be required. But I wasn't going to allow it. I'm making it worse by keeping it out of the light and I'm well aware of that. But I just didn't have the audacity to. Being a burden to anyone is the last thing I needed. I've got enough regrets in my life already. One more is no exception.

I'm sure its nothing.

I clutched the sides of the toilet in tears, wishing the burning in my throat would stop and the excruciating pain in my head to disappear. But it didn't, and as expected, I started to cough out blood. Fuck.

I clutched my hands tighter when a wave of pain washed through every inch of my body and bit my tongue to silence the scream that tried to crawl up my throat.

Make it stop.

I felt myself sway a little and stutter before catching myself and remaining on my knees. Make it stop, make it stop, make it-

"SAM!"

Knives. It was like knives stabbing into my scull. The lights in the bathroom turned on and hair was pulled away from my face as I threw up again.

I could hear the pounding of my heart. Or were they footsteps? I forced myself to stay awake, feeling myself being moved around before I was engulfed by a warm embrace.

It almost took my pain away; that's what I tried to convince myself before it took my consciousness instead and I passed out.

-

[Colby Brock:

Beeping of monitors. That's all I could hear as I sat on the chair next to Sam staring at his limp body laying on the medical bed. We don't exactly know what happened except that something was wrong. And we had yet to know.

I hold Sam's hand in mine and gently run my finger over the back of it. A wet substance fell on the hand that held Sam's and I realized I was crying. It felt odd but the pressure was unbearable. I felt like everything I've kept inside was about to burst out all together.

Sniffling, I wipe my tears and look back at Sam. He looked so peaceful, much different than the pain I saw him in when I woke up. I never want to see that again and I'm willing to do anything to make that happen. It hurts just seeing him like that.

I sniffle lightly and take off the ring dad gave to me. I slipped it onto Sam's ring finger and kissed his hand. "Please be okay." I whispered, blinking away my tears and biting my lip in sadness. But little did I know, my pleads and wishes were gone unheard.

Why? Why when I'm finally happy? Why when I've finally found myself and found something- someone to live for? Why when we've already struggled enough? Why must it be me?

Just why.

At this point, I was tempted to break everything around me. To let my frustrations out. To curse every bad thing that has ruined my life for me up till now. But before my temptation could officially be fulfilled, grandpa and the doctor walked into the room.

I instantly stood up, looking at them in despair. "What is it? What the fuck happened to him tell me!" I let out, my voice slowly rising in sadness before I was told to settle down. I would've fucking done that if Sam wasn't in the fucking hospital you bastard of a doctor! I wanted to scream, punch anything but I knew I'd never know what happened to Sam if that did happen.

"What happened? What's wrong with him?" I ask again, fists clenched to my side but voice toned down. The doctor looked at me with guilty eyes and closed the door after him with a sigh.

"We ran through multiple blood tests on the patient and, alas," he paused. "the results concluded he's diagnosed with cancer. The patient seems to have experienced numerous symptoms. Did you notice anything strange about his behavior or appearance?" The doctor continued talking.

But I was anywhere but with them. My life wasn't enough of a shit hole, no, it needed to be worse. I would take anything. Prison, my father's beatings, a gun to my head. But not Sam. Anything but Sam and life took advantage of that.

I just wanted to be with Sam. I just wanted to see him smile again. I just wanted to hear his addicting laugh again. I just wanted us to be happy.

Was that too much to fucking ask?

-893 words