Chapter 28

[Sam Golbach:

When I woke up, the room was dark and silent except for the quiet beeping coming from the machines I was hooked too. IV's were strapped to my wrists and other monitors lit up beside me. I assumed they were to help me since the sense of pain I felt before was now completely gone.

I stared at the ceiling for a few minutes, processing everything that had happened up till now. And it was not much. My mind was still foggy and a bit woozy from passing out but I didn't doubt I'd be filled in later with whatever that happened to me.

Sitting up slowly, I went to detach the strings from my arm when the sense of warmth in my hand went completely unnoticed and I accidently detached my hand from the sleeping boy next to me on the chair, consequently waking him.

Colby sat up with a little startle as he looked around his surroundings before realizing we were in the hospital. Hell it confused me just as much when I woke up. I smiled softly "Hey," I whispered.

My smile didn't last long though. It instantly dropped when Colby's eyes glossed up and tears began rolling down his cheeks as he pulled me into a hug and squeezed me tightly, sobbing into my chest quietly. I could almost hear the pain in his voice and it made me hold back tears of my own.

"Hey, I'm okay. Please, stop crying, I'll be out of here in no time." I assured, gently rubbing his hair and squeezing him back in comfort. "How.. How long have you known?" He breathed out; he sounded broken. And I hated that I was responsible for that. But I wouldn't lie to him, he'll now eventually so there's no point in avoiding the truth nor masking it.

"For a while." I replied quietly, he squeezed me tighter. "I knew something was wrong, but I never knew how bad it was. I'm sorry Colby."

"I didn't need sickness to be another burden thrown on grandpa's shoulders. He's done enough. Lazy-ing around in a hospital bed at a time like this is not an option, I have to leave." I shook my head but Colby had his own things to say.

He had pulled away from my hold and was now staring at me with tired, defeated eyes. "Sam.." He chuckled breathlessly but it was anything but relieved and happy.

"Sam, you're dying. And you're afraid of being a burden? It hurts me when you talk like that, you know?" He sniffled, shaking his head. "And I don't doubt a fucking second that taking your life will be killing your grandfather inside than doing him a favor, Sam. Your life isn't a fucking napkin you can throw away and replace with another. Life is hard and I don't ever think it'll get any easier, but this is not the solution. I need you, Sam, just as much as your grandfather does."

His face was a canvas of tears and dark eyebags and I didn't doubt mine looked anything but the same. I wasn't in pain. Physically. But my heart was breaking slowly. The pain and sadness in my heart made everything twice as bad as it already was in this fucked up life.

I just want to go home.

Moments of silence passed between us as we sunk in our pain and tears until it was unbearably hard to breath, and I spoke:

"Take me back to the dandelion field." "Sam-" "Just.. Just take me there. Please." I grit, hoping to hold myself back from taking out my emotions and frustrations out on him. That's another regret I wasn't willing to take to my grave.

Colby grabbed the truck keys off the table near the bed and walked out of the room without another word.

I'm sorry, Colby. I'm so sorry,

but I've accepted my fate a long time ago.

-

Reaching the farm, I shut the truck door and begin limping my way towards my chosen destination. Colby unexpectedly helped me over, throwing one arm over his shoulder and guiding me by my waist. But he refused to look at me once. His gaze was far into the distance but glossed to no end and it made me want to give in instantly. But I just couldn't.

In the distance though, I spotted a hopping figure rushing to us with whining cries until we were stopped by an energetic Barnie jumping all over and around us happily. That brought a little smile to my face as I pet him lovingly before pushing him aside gently to give us passage.

When we finally reached the field overflowing with the beautiful swaying dandelions I learned to help me get away from my troubles, I dropped down and gently picked a flower before letting it be blown away by the wind. I smiled lightly and closed my eyes, tilting my head back to let the calming wind hit against my face.

Warm arms wrapped around me soon after and I was pressed against a firm chest, completing the embrace. "There's still a way." Colby whispered and tears soaked into my shirt slowly. "There's still hope.. We can find help, its not too late-"

"I want to be buried here, right where we lay..

Could you do that for me?"

-913 words