Chapter 15

[Colby Brock:

After making dinner for Sam and some warm soup for his grandfather, I climbed up to our room and cleaned myself up in the bathroom. I had no appetite for dinner after the day's events and especially since everything hurt like a bitch. I don't think chewing was an option anyways.

After I blacked out in the drug store, the guys woke me up by splashing me with a bucket of cold water and resumed what they meant as a "reminder" for my father. My face was swollen and bruised and my lip was an absolute mess when I left, I was surprised I was able to hide it so well from Sam. Unless he noticed and remained quiet. But at that point I couldn't care less to what they were doing to me. I had one goal in mind and that was getting back to Sam and his grandfather.

Aside my face being an absolute mess though, my body was just as bruised and battered. My arms and legs ached immensely along with the wound I already got from the barn, my stomach churned with pain every time I moved in a certain direction, and my back was an open canvas the guys used to paint bruises on using their booted feet. In other words they made sure I walked out as a walking punching bag and the "little reminder" for my father.

Tch, reminder or not I wasn't going to see that bastard ever again and I hoped he gets what he deserves for everything he's done. Karma's a bitch, and she'll be coming for him next, best believe it.

After I finished showering with freezing water in hopes to numb the pain, I got into bed and shut my eyes with a little wince. I chuckled to myself and shook my head in disbelief. What a day.

Half way into falling asleep, I heard a little shuffling come from the doorway followed by a creak, and opened my eyes tiredly to see Sam entering the room. I watched in confusion when he walked into the bathroom and came back out with the medical kit and a wet cloth. He noticed..

I shut my eyes so he thought I was asleep, and tensed visibly when I felt his presence sit down next to me. I'm asleep. I'm asleep. I'm-

"You're not asleep. Your breathing is uneven and your eyelashes keep fluttering when you blink. From what I recall, your body doesn't-"

"-Alright, Alright I'm awake." I groaned, opening my eyes and glaring at Sam who wore a cocky smirk on his face. For some reason I felt relaxed when he was back to his old self. It scared me when I saw him so emotional and vulnerable but I knew I never wanted to see him like that again. It made another part of my body ache; my heart.

Sam's smirk instantly disappeared when he saw my face under the moonlight and moved to turn on the light before sitting back down. "When did this happen?" He frowned, and I flinched when he moved hair out my face to inspect the bruises.

"Why? Worried about me?" I smirked but groaned instantly after when he poked a bruise on my cheek and rolled his eyes. "No, but you'll stain the sheets with blood." He replied as he dabbed the wet cloth against my swollen eye.

A long silence followed after our short conversation as Sam concentrated on my wounds until he finally broke the silence. "They really did a number on you, huh.." He said, tilting my jaw slightly to reach the other bruises.

"What happened anyways? D'You run your big mouth like usual?" He raised a brow and I shook my head 'no'. "Not this time, no. My father happened actually. Seemed like he scammed them. He borrowed a lucky amount from a bunch of guys and hasn't repaid it in years. So when they identified me as his son they used me as a little reminder for'em." I explained, receiving a scoff of disbelief from my nurse.

At this point he probably is..

* * *

[Sam Golbach:

After Colby explained what happened to him, I couldn't help but realize that he had bruises all over his body and not just his face. And to a certain extent I might have to strip him into nothing but briefs to tend to all his bruises.

Colby seemed to notice my discomfort because he said "It's late, we should head to sleep. We have a long day tomorrow." He went to move away but I quickly grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"Shut up and take your off your clothes. You won't be getting up for a week if we don't treat your wounds." I spoke in frustration. "Demanding much?" He muttered to himself, as he took off his shirt to expose bruised skin and some bloody scratches.

My eyes widened when I spotted the same sight on his back and shoulders as well. He must be feeling an abnormal amount of pain, no doubt it. I ruffled my hair in distress and ordered him to turn over on his stomach so I could start with his back first.

Thankfully, I was able to concentrate in silence and Colby ended up falling asleep half way through tending to his back. So it wasn't as awkward when I treated his front.

But how did it reach to this point in my life? Sitting here and treating the wounds of a stranger. How am I adjusting to this boy's presence so quickly? I was doing so well alone, I was fine before he came along so why am I slowly starting to rely on him?

Why did I ask for his help? Why did I let him get so close to me that I felt at ease when he wiped away my tears and assured me everything would be alright? Why didn't I push him away and shut him out when he tried to help me?

Why can't I hate him?

-1010 words