Chapter 24

[Sam Golbach:

I don't know how it happened. I don't know when it happened. But I knew it made me feel something. Everything that happened so far has been a mind blowing experience that I never I'd ever.. well experience. Or even allow it to.

I never expected things to move so fast. And yet here I am. Defenses down, heart up and vulnerable to whoever may want it, and mind blocking all the negative thoughts I refused to acknowledge and instead avoid.

I was happy. I was happy which was weird to me.

How could one person make me feel like this. How could he make me feel willing to wake up the next day and do almost anything I never thought once of doing. How could he break down the walls I've spent years- no my whole life building up just to keep me safe. To keep myself distanced from everyone who might hurt me, to shut people away.

I never needed anyone, I never depended on anyone and yet here I am allowing myself to depend on Colby. Depending on him to keep me happy. Because never had I once thought that something so simple could make me feel this way.

Was I just weak? Was I just so pathetic and naiive that such simplicity could make me yearn for more? My head was a mess of confused thoughts, wary wants and storming denial.

".. Sam"

I don't know what to do.

Should I end things here?

"... Sam..!"

I should block him out before things progress. If I let them then I'll only get hurt and-

"-SAM!"

I jumped, looking around me with frightened eyes and obvious confusion. My eyes soon landed on Colby who stood next to me with a hand on my shoulder. I let out a shaky sigh of relief before ruffling my hair in distress.

"Is everything okay?" Colby furrowed his brows, grabbing my hand and helping me out of the patch of grass I somehow landed in.

"Yea, I'm good." I spoke quietly, dusting my behind. "What happened?" He asked, pulling me closer to him by wrapping his arms around my waist. Before I could object he laid his head on my shoulder and fiddled with the hem of my shirt distractedly.

My eyes were widened in confusion but I accepted his embrace nevertheless and tangled my fingers in his hair, playing with a strand. "Nothing.. Just thinking." I replied with a sigh, shuddering when his warm breath hit against my neck lightly.

Aside from his warm breath, his whole embrace made me feel warm. And his arms around me somehow made me feel safe, protected. Like no one can get to me. It only confused me more.

"Thinking about what? D'you miss me that badly?" He grinned cheekily, making me roll my eyes with a smile of my own. "Sure, you could say that." I said, chuckling when he lifted his head and grinned brightly like a kid on Christmas.

He laid his head back on my shoulder after pecking my lips once -which completely caught me off guard and made me look like a fucking idiot with my cheeks as red as my grandpa's freshly grown tomatoes and my eyes as wide as a field of bristling dandelions.

I perked a little at the thought of dandelions and lifted Colby's head again so he was looking at me. It was a look of bewilderment but it was cute- shut up Sam.

"I wanna take you somewhere." I blushed faintly and his confusion only rose but he nodded anyways. I grabbed his hand and began running.

"W-Woah, right now?! I-It's getting late shouldn't we leave it for tomorrow?" He gushed behind me, trying to keep up with my pace. "It wouldn't be special if we did!" I yelled back with a little laugh as we ran under the setting sun.

When we finally reached the destination I had in mind, Colby and I were left as panting messes and were stumbling over our own feet as we tried to calm our uncontrollable laughter. I let out a yelp when I fell on top of him, cackling loudly and beaming so brightly my jaw began to hurt.

We were laid in a large, beautiful field of dandelions, their white pappus soaring around us in the air caused by the impact of our fall. But my attention wasn't on the flowers anymore.. it was all on Colby.

The boy who's eyes captured me in their sparkling affection and his toothy smile that made my heart skip a beat every time he sent me one. Like I was under some sort of spell. His spell.

All my thoughts were washed away when I was with him. All my worries were diminished when I thought of him. And all my fears and insecurities were completely out of mind when I listened to his soothing voice.

Colby was like my safe haven and I wished to never be away. But life doesn't always grant us what we desire. Instead it makes things ten times the suffering and ten steps closer to wanting to end it.

Yet Colby played the part of an angel and chose to serve me. Save me.

And I was grateful.

-880 words