twenty-one.

pain, anguish, sorrow, suffering.

l/n y/n felt himself trip over his feet as he kept his gaze up, looking to where the figure of a young girl stood all by her lonesome self. her gaze was cold and relentless as her eyes pierced right through his soul, yet behind her eyes, he could see suffering. pain. he reached out his hand towards her, calling her down.

"ban yue!" he called, his voice cracking slightly. the girl stood still, unbothered by his calls. he continued through the burning debris, passing by multiple buildings that crumbled as the flames spread. uncontrollable destruction happened all around him as the kingdom he cherished greatly was collapsing right under his feet.

yet he still called for the girl, hoping that she would come down to him. but she didn't. she simply stood by and watched.

y/n could feel something pierce through his leg. immediately, a burning feeling began to overtake his senses. pain pulsed through his veins, but he ignored that. then quickly, more bites came at his legs as numerous scorpion-tailed snakes began slithering up to him, climbing up his legs and wrapping around his torso.

soon, it became too much for him to move. with his spiritual energy exhausted and his physical strength at its weakest, he couldn't do anything. his body collapsed onto the ground as the snakes quickly began crawling up his body. they slithered on top of him, leaving no space unoccupied.

hot tears pooled from the corners of his eyes. he was slowly being suffocated alive as the snakes coiled around him, from his limbs to his neck, as their poisonous fangs sunk onto his flesh, inserting their deadly venom into his system. he couldn't do anything but succumb to the suffering.

the flames swallowed him, engulfing his vision in a bright, vermillion color. the dark figure of the girl was the last thing he saw before his vision turned white.

he was a god. an immortal. but maybe that wasn't always such a good thing.

a painful scream echoed in his ears, as if cursing the heavens themselves.

then everything turned quiet. the pain was gone, and the image of his burning kingdom had vanished before him when he opened his eyes. the prince looked around him, eyes still a little blurry from the tears.

he heard giggling, echoing all around him. he whipped his head around and found a young man standing a couple of feet away from him. his brown hair was tied back into multiple braids, twisting and turning around his head. feathers hung at the tip of each braid as each one represented his status.

other men, much larger than him, stood around him. they laughed heartily despite the scorpion-tailed snakes slithering around their bodies, almost as if they were playing. "that's..." he recognized the young man. it was him. the him from so long ago. the him that was happy.

the group walked away, scorpion-tailed snakes slithering after them.

a scorpion-tailed snake came up to him. it looked much larger than the rest. it peered up at y/n with its beady eyes, showing nothing but complete loyalty and adoration to him. then it raised its tail.

"ah!" y/n let out a shriek and instinctively stepped back. a figure seemed to have came through him.

the snake didn't do any harm with its tail. it rattled its tail as if it were excited. the figure of a young man crouched down and extended an arm, allowing the snake to slither up to him. "ren! its you!"

that was him again. there were even more braids around his head, but all of them were tied back in a high ponytail, a piece of leather binding the braids together. he wore a pair of brown trousers as his upper robes hung at his waist, exposing the skin of his upper torso.