6

MATILDA! CHAPTER SIX:
MS LANA
______________

"I don't get why you don't at least try with Kie, she clearly likes you. She's like, oh John B" JJ said as they made their way to Mrs Lanas house to see if she knew anything— Liz sat in the back listening to the two go on.

"Is that what she does?"

"She's sketching about you diving, than she kissed you"

"She kissed me on the cheek. It's not like we were making out if something"

"Low hanging fruit, bro. Don't pretend you don't notice, I see it in your eyes, your like, 'I kinda like that' and you start blushing"

"I blush?"

"Yeah"

"Really?" John B looked at Liz through the rear view mirror and raised an eyebrow

"You did" Liz said simply, smirking a bit

"Yeah" JJ went to touch the compass but John B stopped him

"Hey, dont—"

"I was just looking at it. I gotta admit your fathers compass in scooters boat. That's freaky"

"Yeah, thats why were going to talk to Mrs Lana, figure this whole thing out."

"I'm sure she would just love to talk to us, it's not like her husband just drowned or anything" They got to Mrs Lanas house and got out of the car, walking towards the house.

"Know what this house looks like? Whoever lives here smokes to much weed" JJ said before there was glass smashing coming from in the house

"Maybe we should come back" Liz suggested quietly

"Shut up"

"It's a little too soon"

"No, no, shut up. Shut up JJ"

"Tell me where it is, or I'll fuck you up" a man yelled from inside

"Your hurting me!" Mrs Lana screamed and Liz's jaw dropped

"I—"

"Shut up. Come on" They came to underneath the windows and Liz could see something was bothering JJ about the loud yelling and she easily connected his body language to his father— JJ had briefly told her about his father being an alcoholic and yelling, sometimes even hitting. He made her promise to tell nobody. So she did.

"The compass wasn't in the boat. Where is it Lana?" More smashing was heard

"I don't know!"

"Don't listen" JJ whispered to himself— Liz furrowed her eyebrows at him and than flinched back when a loud bang came from inside the house— plates smashing. Liz reached a hand out, putting it on his arm to attempt to comfort him from whatever it was exactly bothering him and he connected his hand to hers and squeezed it a bit as Liz felt his eyes burn into the side of her face for a few seconds. White flakes fell from the house and Liz touched her hair, looking up slightly as her hand shook slightly nervously.

"Is that paint?" She muttered in disbelief

"Yes, it's paint"

"Let's get there hell outta here man"

"We should just go. He's got a smuggler" the two men came from the hosue and angrily got into their boat

"Dude, those are the guys that shot at us" The three backed up to prevent being seen by the men so they could drive off. John B was the first to move as they walked towards the front door and entered to hear Mrs Lanas muffled cries.