27

MATILDA! CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN:
POGUES FOR LIFE
______________

the five stages of grief. they model postulates that those experiencing grief go through a series of five emotions: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. These are ways people choose to cope with their new reality. It feels like too much. everyone goes through these steps differently, which is why you can't just point it out. Liz felt like she was going threw all five at once. the denial of losing her best-friend. anger, at Ward Cameron who did all of this and tried to kill a 16 year old. Bargaining, maybe Sarah and John B made it to the Bahamas and are just... out of cell service? depression... was well, self explanatory for why and acceptance was always the hardest step. She didn't let the police or anyone for that matter touch the Chateau.

Liz stood holding a box in front of the big burch tree at the Chateaux. Pope used an axe to clear a space where to bark was left, sort of in a heart shaped. JJ used a hot fire poker to engrave his name into the tree. A tear slipped down Liz's face as JJ stepped back to stand beside her. He held up the flask filled with alcohol. "too John B" he said

"And Sarah"

JJ drank from the flask, tipping his head back. Pope cracked open his doing the same. Liz put the box filled with some of John Bs belongings in front fo the tree, as all four buried the box and stepped back. JJ held the flask out to Liz, who took it and tipped her head back and letting the burning liquid go down her throat. The four Pogues stayed on the hammocks of the Chateaux, enjoying each other's company. Liz was smoking a blunt next to JJ as they awkwardly sat glancing at Pope and Kie every once in a while. Liz fell asleep next to JJ on the second hammock. JJ looked at the girl and kissed her forehead gently.

After that day, the Pogues didn't see Liz for days. She'd locked herself in her room and never wanted to come out, until one night she heard a knock at her window. She jumped slightly and opened her window to see JJ. Her eyes softened at the blonde. JJ studied the girls face. Her eyes were dark, like she hadn't slept a lot. Her eyes were puffy and red like she'd cried recently. Liz moved out of the way so JJ could climb in her room.

"Hi" Liz said before JJ brought her into a hug

"please promise me you'll never go MIA like that ever again" JJ mumbled into her shoulder and she nodded her head

"I'm sorry" she spoke, just barley at a whisper

"Liz you look like you haven't slept in days" JJ held the sides of Liz's face and she sighed

"I can't... it's hard to alone" Liz said and JJ let the corner of his mouth go up into a small smile

"Well what do you say, we all get some sleep huh?" JJ asked and Liz looked at him in question before he walked to the door and unlocked it, opening it to reveal Pope and Kie.

"Pogue sleepover?" Kie asked and Liz let out a giggle, and the group sighed in relief at the girls smile. That night all four slept in Liz's room, JJ and Liz in her bed and Kie with Pope on the ground with an extra mattress.

AN: very short chapter...