48

MATILDA! CHAPTER FOURY EIGHT:
LIZ THE LOOKOUT
______________

Liz was taken by the arm by JJ and John B, pulling her away from the area where the cross would drop onto and the others moved as well. Liz stumbled as JJ held onto her. The cross dropped on the ground and Liz breathed heavily. After catching her breath she noticed Pope on the ground looking a bit to still.

"Pope are you okay?" Liz asked, walking forwards to him as the others did as well. They leant down to Pope.

"Hey, you good?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Just give me like, one second to, like, catch my breath" Pope responded

"You did it Pope" John B told him and they walked towards the golden cross. JJ moved his hands up to touch the cross as the others starred in awe.

"Pope, shes... she's beautiful" JJ said, and Liz didn't even question the commment. It was so beautiful.

"I've never seen anything like it"

"Details insane"

"Well, here's why Limbrey wanted to Key so bad" John B told the group as he leant down and saw the key whole

"Whoa, good find. How much do you think she's worth?" JJ asked "Like, if we 'elated her old bones down dude, I'm talking like high billions"

"This belongs in a—no this belongs in a museum" Liz interrupted JJ

"What so none sees her?"

"In a museum where everyone sees it" John B Added

"Are you kidding?"

"Hey! It's my ancestors cross!" Pope exclaimed

"Right, okay, all right, all right. Well.."

"This is bigger than money, and the worlds gotta know the truth"

"Yes and if we don't get this shut out of outta here before Limbrey gets here, nobody's gonna know. So saddle up"

"It's heavy like right here" JJ said, leaning down to the bottom of the cross— well the top but it was upside down.

Liz leant down between JJ and Kie preparing to lift the cross. On the count of three the group slowly but surely lifted the cross with lot as struggle. The cross must've been at least 300 pounds. They didn't even make it to the door before Pooe and to let go. Although frustration came through Liz's mind more concern for Pope as she felt onto the bunch and held himself in pain.

"Yo! You almost dropped it on my foot!" JJ exclaimed at Sarah

"Becuase im the only one lifting it!" She said defensively

"Oh sure—"

"Okay, okay, okay! Listen, we'll make a little sling" John B suggested, as Liz looked towards Pope who held his hand.

"Pope are you okay?" Liz asked and Pope shook his head as the talked. Liz turned around "guys! Pope isn't okay, he's in pain or something" Liz told the group

"Your eye, it looks all puffy" Sarah said

"You good? You don't look to good bro"

"I can't—" Pope heaved in as he struggled to breathe

"He's having an allergiac reaction" Kie said

"How many times did he get stung? Sarah asked before Popes eyes rolled back and his body relaxed back and the group quickly caught him. John B told JJ to hide the cross, or at least try as it was a huge thing.

"Guys I'll stay here with the cross to make sure nobody takes it" Liz told them and everyone looked at her "trust me. I can do it go help Pope" Liz said and everyone nodded and went off the help Pope. Liz and JJ locked eyes just before he closed the doors leaving Liz alone. She sighed, sitting on one of the benches.

the sun was set and Liz was now very concerned of the groups whereabouts. She stood up, sighing before the door opened revealing Rafe. Liz gasped, stepping back towards the cross.

"What are you doing here Liz?" Rafe asked

"None of your business, Cameron" Liz seethed "I'm not letting you get this cross" Liz shook her head

"Oh but we will" a voice came from behind her. She turned to see Renfeild. She looked between the two.

"I heard what you did to Tommy" Rafe said

"What? That he tried to kill me? Like you tried to kill Sarah?" Liz asked "is that what you heard?"

"No I actully heard that you slept with Sam to get him to call the police and arrest Tommy"

"That's a lie" Liz shook her head "Sam saved me. Tommy's just upset he got what was coming for him"

"Listen I'd love to stand here and listen to you two fight like siblings but... we could do this the east way... or the fun way" Renfeild laughed and she sighed

"Not a chance" Liz spoke before she was grabbed from behind. She felt Rafes hands holding her and she screamed. She threw her elbow back making her fall. She rolled to get away from Rafe, standing up to kick Renfeild back.

"Fun way it is then" Rafe stated, before pulling soemthing from his back pocket. A pocket knife. He swung it towards Liz and she dodged it lookingn out for Renfeild. Rafe swing again this time hitting her arm making her cry out in pain before falling back into someone's arms and a rope was tied to her mouth. Rafe leant down in front of her smiling at her.

"This will be easier if you just stay still" Rafe muttered before she felt a needle into her arm. She screamed out, before her vision became blurry.

"What did you do?" Liz asked "Rafe what did you do?"