43

MATILDA! CHAPTER FOURTY THREE:
THE BONFIRE
______________

The Bonfire, an outer banks tradition. It was the same weekend every year. Everyone went. Everyone. Liz got out of the Twinkie, wearing her sweater. John B took the two further into the bonfire with a red solo cup in hand, telling people how he missed them. The smell of beer and fire were in the air and Liz felt a smile grow onto her face as she looked around at all the teens.

Liz lingered around the car a bit longer as JJ slightly hesitated to go with John b but they both walked forwards. Pope and Kie walked off and Liz pursed her lips as she walked into the crowd and was given a beer. She walked up the hill, before she bumped into someone.

"Oh, hey Liz" Sam's voice said and she looked up to see a smile on his face

"Hey Sam" she smiled

"Why the long face? Your at the biggest party of the year and you got beer in your cup... I'd say it's a good night"

"Yeah" Liz nodded, looking down at the crowd and immediately finding the blonde. He was talking with a random.

"That's what it is" Sam stated "your boyfriend"

"Yeah, I mean... it's just difficult. He thinks that me and you... you know. He's just been distant"

"Shit I'm sorry Liz" Sam shook his head "it's cause I'm a Kook?"

"Probably" Liz nodded

"Well to that, I'd say... let's forget about his ass for the night and have some fun" Sam put his drink up and Liz did the same

"Cheers" they said in sync. Sam tipped his drink back and Liz did for a second too.

"Oh, here I got some thing for you" Sam laughed, pulling the tab off his drink and giving it to Liz

"A beer tab?" She giggled

"It's a memento, so you don't forget about me"

"Sam you saved my life" Liz said "were friends forever" Liz held up her pinky and Sam nodded holding up his

"I pogue Promise we will stay friends" Liz smiled

"And I look swear to that" Sam added. "Hey I know a perfect spot for that tab" He said taking it from her hand "turn around"

Liz turned around and Sam moved her hair, and Sam unclasped her necklace for a moment. When Liz turned the Tab was on her necklace and she looked at it and smiled.

"I love it" she said before hearing a bunch of yelling

"Have a little respect her dad just died!" Topper yelled and Liz turned to see Topper, Sarah, Sancho and John B all standing together.

"Oh god" Liz muttered

"Back off Kook! Back off!"

"What's your problem?" Topper yelled

"Your telling me about respect?" She screamed and than after a few seconds the ex couple had decided to start getting loud with each other. Liz blindly walked towards the fight, trying to push past the crowd.

"You wanna start shit right now?"

"Do I wanna start some shit?" John B asked

"Come on John B kick his ass!" Someone cheered

"They all know what happend last time!" Topper yelled

"Just get out! Just go!" Sarah exclaimed and Liz came to help in the middle pushing John B back