Unusual

Surely his mind was just playing tricks on him. like it usually did, and what he thought he saw he didn't actually see. No one would peek their head around the a van, they'd normally just openly observe the barren front yard from behind their vehicle. Whoever it was either wasn't there in the first place and Finney was making things up, or they were embarrassed to have been caught taking in the view of someone else's lawn.

The teenager simply ignored the unusual occurrence, going back to what he was doing before his dad yelled at him for taking too long to get ready. The older man had things to do, places to be that were more important than waiting for his eldest child to slowly get his shit together for school. So, Finney hurried along.

"Finney," the sound of his younger sister, Gwen, said startling the elder teen a bit. He looked to his side, seeing her with a look of urgency on her face. "Dad said if you don't hurry the fuck up he's going to leave without you."

"Gwen, don't swear," Finney scolded lightly, shaking his head.

"But he said that. Why can Dad swear and not me?" Gwen complained, crossing her arms with attitude. Finney knew he'd have to knock that flare out of her before his dad did. He never liked it when he spoke back and he couldn't see a reason for them liking it if Gwen did it, either.

"Because Dad's an adult and we're kids so we aren't allowed to. No more asking, go get your shoes on. I'd rather Dad leave without me than him leave without both of us, okay?"

"Okay," the little girl sulked, looking down at her socks contrasting with the black tiles and the absence of shoes on her feet as she trudged out of the kitchen. Finney dismissed the slouched posture of his sister, huffing at the sorrowful stance Gwen displayed as she left.

He proceeded to finish making his lunch, shoving it into his backpack. Rushing wasn't worthwhile, not when he already knew his father planned to leave him behind anyway. He was only hurrying because he knew he'd have to get himself to school by walking and hope he got there before the bell rang. Even then, no congratulation for his achievement of arriving at school on time would be given – or even acknowledged.

The brunette had been on his own – doing everything for himself bar paying for food and paying to live under the same roof as his family– ever since he came out. Gwen was the only one that didn't seem to pay any mind to the fact he liked boys and girls, his dad though, was different. He was struck by his father – which was common– but it felt different now. It left a mark on his cheek, but a deep wound in his heart.

He was grateful he hadn't been kicked out and left to die on the side of the road, and instead allowed to keep living under the same roof as his father.He had been excluded, however, and he knew that was the punishment for being 'unnatural' as his dad called it. The boy didn't eat dinner with him anymore, didn't join them watching a movie, and wasn't permitted to touch or get too close with his dad anymore. Gwen still gave him hugs, though, and that was good enough for him.

Not being too close to his family did include not getting rides to school or other places any longer, which was inconvenient, but not unbearable. At the age of 17 Finney should be getting himself to and from school anyway, he was old enough. And, as if he could read the world, when he went outside, his father's car was already gone.

....

Finney didn't have friends, he wasn't afraid to admit it. He didn't find it shameful or embarrassing to sit by himself, eating his crisp bread and ham sandwich.

Crumbs fell down onto his lap as he clicked on an enticing video to listen to, brushing the small bits onto the dewy grass between his crossed legs and his laptop keyboard. He munched on his preferred lunch; eyes stuck to the things around him.

"Did you hear? Vance hopper is a fairy," A girl whispered to another sat at the table next to me. "A damn shame, you think he's fucking Finney the fag?"

Wow, Finney thought to himself, was Vance Hopper gay? He couldn't believe it. Finney thought about Vance's parents. Did they react like mine?

He pushed that thought out of his mind.

On the left side of Finney was a window outside, was a van. Finney stared at it and a man stared back. What business did a black van have outside a school?

Finneu shrugged to himself, concentrating his eyes back onto his device, but taking in the familiarity of the man's face. He continued watching the students chatting at their respective tables, he didn't listen though. Instead he was trying to mentally pinpoint where he'd seen the other before.

Aha! Finney had helped him with picking up his groceries a couple weeks ago. He knew the man had told him his name, but he didn't care to remember it.

"Finney's staring at you.. does he have a crush on you?"
"Hell no. I'd beat him the fuck up."

Finney was shaken from his preoccupied daze, fully taking in the sight of the students he was accidentally staring at. Embarrassed He finished off the last bite of his sandwich. It was moments like this he was fine with not having friends. Why bother having friends if his own brain was distracting enough?

It was nearing the end of the lunch period when the boy sitting in the grass noticed someone approaching him. Donna, a girl from his science class, walks up to him, stopping about a metre away with her hands clasped shyly behind her back. She gave the boy a kind smile.

"Hey, Finney, I was wondering if you'd be interested in grabbing a coffee together sometime?"

Donna was nice, Finney wouldn't lie. She was pretty, too. He could appreciate her looks and personality, but he understood what she was really asking him and he was uninterested. He sent her a tight smile for the sake of being polite.

"Sorry Donna, I'm not interested. We could grab coffee as friends, though, I'd be interested in that?"

He did feel admittedly guilty. Donna deserved a nice boyfriend, but she also deserved a boyfriend that reciprocated the feelings she'd have for him. Her smile faltered slightly, but stuck to her face long enough to show her understanding. Her hands fell to her side, shoulders curling in to exhibit a rather awkward stance.

"Yeah, I understand. We could partner up for the next assignment instead? If you're okay with that," she suggested unsurely, rocking back and forth on her toes and heels.

"I'm okay with that," Finney agreed with a nod of his head.

"Cool..." Donna trailed off, slowly turning on her heel after a brief moment of silence.

Oh, the tensity was prominent as the girl walked away with faster-than-average steps. Finney felt bad for her; it was a brave and – more than likely – a difficult thing to ask someone a question like that. Kudos to her, asking your crush out takes courage, Finney thought, respecting his peer a lot more after the interaction. He didn't like or respect a lot of people at school, but he could agree Donna was one of the few he thought was a genuinely decent person.

He pried his eyes away from the girl's retreating figure, landing on his other surroundings. His gaze flickered to the main building, to the administration office, to the same van he'd been staring for half an hour prior to his discussion with Donna. The man was staring again, seeming a bit more present than last time, as if his staring was purposely this time around.

Finney sent him a puzzled look, creeped out. The man shrugged, looking away once more. Well, that was no help. Finney chose to go back to doing his own thing, as well, dismissing the events he'd been experiencing today. There really was an uncomfortable feeling in the air at his school.

I hope you enjoyed this first chapter i took a lot of time on it :)