Snacks

Almost two weeks and still Wright had nothing. He'd looked into Ivory High, spoken to some of the school staff about Finney Blake, as well as a few students in the boy's year level, but there was literally nothing. He'd spoken with Finney's family, but Gwen was right when she said she was the only one that cared.

The Blakes were a complicated bunch, the detective could see it. Their eldest went missing, they didn't care, their daughter was seemingly was worried to the point her eyes began watering while she gave a full description of her missing brother. It appeared nobody really knew or interacted with him at school, the teachers found him to be someone who didn't stand out lest he be sitting alone.

"Hmm..."

Not only was the missing persons case stumping him, but the fact his own captain was also an actively missing person was stressful as well. At least one missing person in town had been found, Donna Bianchi, her body being very much dead (drowned and washed up in the river that ran through town), but that was still a case solved in his books. Maybe not the wanted outcome, but it was something.

Suspicious suicides, missing persons, and a suspicious accidental death... This town had something evil within it, and Wright desperately wanted to get to the bottom of it.

...

Afternoon rolled around, meaning Albert was back at home, grabbing himself and Finney a snack before he planned on retreating to his bedroom for the evening. To his misfortune, and things had stopped working out in his favour – this fact was proven after the phone call he had with his mother the day before.

Today, however, it wasn't the blare of a ringing phone interfering with his daily routine, but rather the obnoxious ding of the doorbell. Whoever was stopping by would have to prepare to be turned away, because Albert wasn't putting up with any fucking people. It was just him and Finney he was concerned about, not some door-to-door knocker preaching the Lord.

But when he swung the front door open, a bag of chips gripped between his fingers, Albert almost dropped the bag when he saw who was in front of him, holding a bag of their own. Grey plastic held together an assortment of different snacking foods, the flimsy handles being grasped by none other than his orange-haired coworker.

Ross lifted the bag a little, grinning like he knew Albert. "I bought snacks."

He needed to get Ross the fuck away from here, right fucking now.

"I already have snacks. Why are you here?"

"Oh, um," Ross said, tone falling along with his demeanour. "I just thought I'd be there for you, like a good friend. I know you like eating food when you're stressed and I saw you at work yesterday and-" he motioned towards the chips in Albert hand "-it seems like you are. Maybe more snacks will help?"

"I didn't ask for help, "Ross. Thanks, but no thanks. You can take the snacks I know you paid for and eat them yourself if you want to, but I'm not in the mood for company."

"I know you didn't ask for it, but I did it anyway. I care about you, Albert. Please dont push me away."

Why the fuck won't he leave me alone like he usually does?

"Now isn't a good time."

"I'll just put the snacks away and then leave-"

"Fine. Just fucking hurry up," Albert gave in, taken aback by his friend's sudden urge to pry and push. Was the world backwards today?

Ross was let inside, heading toward the kitchen. Him walking down the hallway was the most nerve-racking part for Albert, considering the ginger had to pass by his bedroom before making it to the kitchen. So, Albert walked first, glancing into his bedroom to find Finney still laying on the mattress, seeming to not have bothered hiding or anything.