Chapter 5

-MIRA’S POV-

I was like a puppy who felt shame before its cruel master. He opened the door and pushed me inside, causing my head to bump against the steering wheel. He was incredibly strong, so I felt a bit dizzy from the impact of his pushing.

“Did I say you could flirt with someone, huh? Mira? I allowed you to attend the party, but I didn’t say that you could hit on other people.”

It felt as if my soul was leaving my body because Marco was driving at an extremely fast pace. My dizziness didn’t help me in my situation either.

“Fuck, you won’t even own up to your stupid actions, huh? You feel like you have no husband; I knew you didn’t have any plans to mention your last name earlier. Damn it, stop being so dramatic by holding your head like that, or else I’ll hit you—”

I did not hear anything else that he said as my vision suddenly went black.

***

I woke up with a throbbing pain in my head. I looked around. I sighed in relief upon seeing that I was in my room. Who brought me up here?

A smile suddenly formed on my lips. There was no one else staying here, so I knew that he was the one who carried me here. I looked at the clock and quickly got up when I realized that it was almost eight o’clock in the morning.

Today was a good day for me because of what happened. So he did care about me at least a little. It was like my heart had just been revived.

I prepared breakfast and waited for Marco. When I saw him coming down the stairs, I flashed him a smile, but he just raised an eyebrow in response. This was nothing new to me, as I was used to his attitude. He was dressed in his office attire and held his briefcase.

“Marco, come eat first.”

My smile widened because he sat down at the table.

“Kay.” His response was too short, but what mattered to me was this treatment towards me was slightly improving.

I put rice on his plate with the serving spoon. He ate, so I took a seat from across him and started eating, too.

“Uhm, by the way, thank you for carrying me last night,” I said softly, looking down. I did not want to look at him, because I might see anger in his eyes again.

“Tsk,” he replied shortly and stood up.

“Marco, where are you going? You barely ate anything.” I said worriedly.

“Shut up, don’t bother me if you don’t want to get hurt,” he growled and left.

I bowed my head and finished eating. After I did the chores, I watched “The Entitled.” I could not stop crying during the part where they took Belinda’s kindness for granted.

My emotional moment was suddenly interrupted when someone called.

It was four o’clock when I went to where my cellphone was. I sighed in relief when I saw that it was Mom who was calling.

MAMA BEAR IS CALLING

“Hello, Ma,” I said happily. But my cheeriness vanished when I heard her voice. She was crying.

“M-Mira, your dad was rushed to the hospital again,” Mom said, sobbing.

“What? What hospital are you at, Ma? I’ll come see you guys there, Ma.” I said, sounding as agitated as I felt.

God, please allow my dad to live longer, I prayed silently.

“W-We’re at St. Luke, Mira.”