Chapter 9

-MIRA’S POV-

It was only after I left the room that I saw the beauty of the place we were staying in.

We ate breakfast and engaged in chitchat. Marco didn’t bother to talk to me; he was fully immersed in conversation with his friends. He didn’t even say a simple “hi” or “hello.” Why would I even expect that from him? Oh well.

After we finished eating, we decided to get changed so we could go swimming. I donned my new shorts and paired it with an oversized t-shirt. I left my room and headed for Micah’s. Luna’s hut is all the way in the front, so I went to see Micah first.

*Knock Knock*

“Who’s there?” she yelled from inside the room.

“Mira.”

“Mira, who?”

“Mira, Mirahal mo na nga; hindi ka pa rin sapat (You loved him, but you still weren’t enough.)”

I heard laughter. “Idiot. Come in. Enough of your emo talk.”

I laughed at her words. She opened the door for me.

The moment I entered their hut, I was instantly met with a plain brown wall and ceiling with a black queen-size bed and classy furniture. Their room was bigger and nicer than mine.

I just met these girls a while ago, but we were like two best friends now. They were easy to get along with. Micah was amiable and jolly. Luna was a little bitchy but she was easy to approach.

“Wait here for a sec. I’m just gonna change. Just make yourself at home, Mira.” She told me.

I saw her holding a red swimsuit before she entered the bathroom.

“Okay, I’ll wait for you.”

A minute later, Micah came out wearing her red swimsuit that complimented her white skin. James’ jaw would undoubtedly drop at such a sight. I couldn’t deny how sexy she looked.

“You’re sexy. Red suits you.” I complimented her.

“Thank you. Let’s go now. You need to change, too.” She wrapped her hand around my arm and went outside.

“I’m already dressed, Micah. Don’t you notice that I’m wearing something different from earlier?” I shot her a look to further persuade her that I had changed clothes. She looked at me from head to toe and raised an eyebrow as if disagreeing with me.

“Girl, we’re gonna go swimming, not loiter around. You should wear a swimsuit or a two-piece at least.” She said and started dragging me towards my hut.

“I’d rather not. I’m already comfortable with what I’m wearing now.” I said and tried to pull her in the opposite direction.

“Mira, you should wear a swimsuit to catch your husband’s attention. If you go to the pool dressed in that, you’re gonna be mistaken for a helper.” She said in an attempt to convince me.

“Nah, Micah. He might get mad at me. And then he’ll call me a whore.” I lowered my voice when I said the last part.

We looked like puppies thrashing around in the middle of the hallway.

“He’s not going to—”

“Have y’all been here awhile now? Why do you two look like puppies thrashing around?” Luna said, raising an eyebrow.

Micah and I were so immersed in our argument that we didn’t notice that we were already standing near Luna’s hut.

“It’s Mira. She doesn’t want to wear a swimsuit.” Micah told Luna while holding her arm.

“I’m already comfortable in these. Besides, I’m not used to wearing a bikini. I was before, but not anymore.” I explained.

“You’ll change whether you like it or not,” Luna replied and dragged me inside her room.

Micah stuck her tongue out at me, because she succeeded in her plan. I rolled my eyes playfully at her.

Luna handed me a violet swimsuit. Unfortunately, it fit me, so the two girls were delighted when they saw me.

“You’re freaking sexy, Mira,” Micah remarked while Luna whistled. I rolled my eyes.

“Yeah, right. Thank you for your compliment.” I replied, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

“You’re welcome, honey.” She smiled at me and dragged me out of the room, causing me to roll my eyes again.

I was going to grab a jacket or anything else that I could use to cover my body but Luna caught me. Because she was such a bratty witch, I obeyed all of their wishes.

I shyly made my way over to Marco, James, and Clark. While the other two were smiling like there was no tomorrow.

Every time we passed by men, there were whistles, and some yelled…

“You’re so sexy, Ms. Red.”

“You three are so damn hot.”

“Can I have your number, Ms. Violet?”

Occasionally we heard some whispers. We were sexy, Luna was pretty, and other comments.

That was how boys were. They were satisfied with a girl if she passed their standards. Even if it was an old woman, it didn’t matter to them, as long as they were sexy and gorgeous.

“Wow, you look sexy, babe.”

“You’re so hot, sweetie.”

Clark and James immediately told Micah and Luna when we were in front of them. Marco had his back turned to me, so he didn’t notice me. He didn’t even turn to look at me.

I was going to sit beside Marco when someone approached me.

“Excuse me. May I have your number?” he said, scratching his neck sheepishly.

I glanced to the side and saw that Marco’s friends, Micah and Luna were watching me.

“Uhhh—”

“She’s not available. So back off.” Marco said before he started dragging me away.

I heard Luna and Micah squealing, evidently feeling giddy with what they had just witnessed.

“Marco, stop. You’re hurting me.” I tried to loosen his grip on my hand, but he was so strong that I couldn’t escape.

“Are you trying to catch all the boys’ attention? Did you see how they fucking stared at you? Don’t you feel any shame? For Pete’s sake, Mira, you’re married.” He said angrily and let go of me when we entered an unfamiliar hut.

I’m married to you, but our marriage means nothing to you, I wanted to yell in response but I couldn’t bring myself to do so.

“Did I also catch your attention?” I asked shyly. I was hoping that I got his attention. I may sound pathetic, but when it comes to love, you need to fight for it to have it.

“Tsk. No, never. You’re nothing compared to her.” He said and left the room.

Tears poured down my cheeks, and moments later I began sobbing loudly.

So until now, it’s still her.

All this time, I’ve just been hoping for something that isn’t true.

Damn you, Marco. You really know how to lead a girl on.