Chapter 13

-MIRA’S POV-

It had been a week since the incident in Boracay. Marco did apologize for what happened.

I felt so hurt because of what he did. For hours I sat in a corner and cried silently.

What they said is true: the pain is more agonizing when you are crying noiselessly. His face often flashed in my mind, and it frightened me.

The pain that I felt physically was nothing compared to what I felt emotionally. My emotions were an overwhelming mixture of anger, anxiety, and fear. I could still remember his touch, the sounds of his moans. Every detail had seeped into my mind.

I was not angry because he took my virginity. I was angry because he did so without any love. I wanted my first time to be romantic, but he ruined that.

I didn’t know why but in spite of what he did, I couldn’t bring myself to hate him. Call me weak if you want. But I was just in love.

After what happened in Boracay last night, we went home. Neither of us said a word until we reached the house. The next morning I was surprised that he started treating me as if I was someone special. Day by day his behavior towards me improved. I didn’t expect that Marco would be true to his word.

*Flashback*

I was sitting on the floor in the corner of my room, hugging my knees. Tears were flowing freely down my face. With every tear that dropped came a pang of sadness.

I was crying quietly when someone knocked on the door.

*Tok* *Tok*

I didn’t do or say anything. Regardless of who was knocking, I didn’t care. I just wanted to be alone.

I wanted to go far away from this hell.

But I couldn’t, because I would be met with Marco’s face if I ever tried to escape. I knew that Marco would do anything and everything to save his own ass.

I heard footsteps approaching me, so I hugged myself more tightly.

“I’m sorry.” The voice was soft but loud enough for me to hear.

Did I hear it correctly?

I slowly raised my face, which I had buried in my knees earlier.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. It was the alcohol. I’m sorry.” I cried harder at these words. I didn’t know why I started crying harder. Earlier I was crying without making a sound, but now I was sobbing very loudly.

He enveloped me in a hug. I just wanted to release all of my pain through the tears.

“Shhh…” He massaged my back gently with his hand to calm me down.

“I’m sorry, Mira. I hope that you forgive me.” He whispered.

“You’re so stupid. Why would I forgive you?” I asked, sobbing while punching his chest.

“Just because I love you, you think you can do that to me. You have no shame.” I punched his chest harder repeatedly until I grew tired.

“Look, Mira. I didn’t mean it. I was drunk. And from now on, I’m gonna try to love you.” My heart suddenly melted at what I heard.

“Really?” I sounded like a child that was trying to confirm if their dad would buy them ice cream.

“Yeah, so I hope you forgive me.” He pulled away from me and looked into my eyes.

“I will try to love you from now on, and we will have a fresh start,” he said gently and kissed my forehead.

*Present*

“Good morning, honey,” I greeted Marco when I saw him coming down.

“Morning, honey,” he said as he sat down. His response was too brief, but at least he greeted me back this time.

After what happened, he started calling me honey. I couldn’t help but feel a rush of excitement every time he said honey; it was like my heart was going to burst from so much delight.

I served him food and sat in front of him. We ate in silence.

Every once in a while, I sneaked a glance at him. I just couldn’t take my eyes off him. If I could put him inside my pocket, I would have done so a long time ago.

He noticed that I was staring at me, so he looked at me and spoke up. “Don’t stare at me. I’m not food.”

I frowned and shifted my attention back to the food.

After we finished eating, Marco said bye to me. Because I had nothing to do, I went to the living room and watched television. The entire day was boring; I was just in the house watching television. I had no chores to do, because I had already finished them the previous day.

At three o’clock, I went inside my room and listened to music while lying down until I fell into a slumber.

***

I woke up at the feeling of a cold hand caressing my cheek. I was met with Marco’s face; he was sitting on the edge of my bed. He was still wearing a suit, so he probably just got home.

“Uhm, hi. Have you been here awhile now?” I asked shyly as I sat up.

“No, I just got here, honey,” he replied.

I stood up, getting ready to go to the kitchen so I could cook dinner.

“Okay, I’m just gonna cook dinner, honey,” I said.

He did not say anything, so I exited the room and left him there because I needed to prepare food. I was starving.

Ever since what happened between us, Marco had made it a habit of entering my room. He was also being nice. There were times when he got angry, but it wasn’t as bad as before.

After I finished preparing the food, I went to his room to invite him for dinner, but he wasn’t there. I went to every part of the room, but he was nowhere to be found. I headed to my room and saw him lying on my bed.

He was sleeping peacefully in my bed. I wanted to wake him up, though he must have been exhausted, so I let him be. I sat next to him and laid down until I was lulled into a deep slumber.