Lucas

{WORD COUNT: 684}

TW: CUSSING

    Max rang the doorbell a few times and waited for an answer from the Hawkins High guidance counselor. Max and I had needed to see her quite a few times since the Fourth of July last year. I had no connection to Billy, but I didn't handle death well. Especially not when I witnessed it. Which was quite a few times since November 1983. Ms. Kelley answered the door and had a confused look on her face when she saw Max. They started talking and eventually, Max walked inside. "Okay, she's in," Steve said. "I'm missing collarbones, not eyes." Dustin exaggerated. "So, how long do you think it will take?" I asked. "Probably not long," Steve said. "So, we gonna talk about...it?" Dustin questioned. My face got confused. Dustin had moved into the front seat halfway through the drive, and I just said yes. "Huh? Sorry, talk about what?" Steve puzzled.  "Your temporary insanity earlier today when you basically through yourself at Nance? I mean, you do know you have a wife? Right?" Dustin questioned. "That's not what happened." Steve objected. "Pretty sure that's what happened. It was public. There were a lot of witnesses." Dustin argued. "Are...are you implying I still have a thing for Nance?" Steve asked. My eyes went wide and the smile that was on my face from quietly laughing faded rapidly. "No. I'm not implying. I'm stating. And, as it relates to your steadfast refusal to date Robin, it's pretty much the only logical explanation." Dustin said. I scoffed, "Uhm, hello!" I huffed. "That's not the only one. And as for Nance, I was just trying to protect a friend." Steve huffed. "A friend, Henderson. Okay? I'm married!" Steve exasperated. "Okay." Dustin enunciated. "Don't wanna find her with her eyes sucked out of her skull by this Vecna creep." Steve worried. "You're bright red in the face right now." Dustin laughed. "He's married! To me, you bozo!" I yelled and got out of the car. I walked away from the car a bit before just leaning up against the side of the car. I watched the door as I waited for Max to walk out. "Here she comes. Here she comes." Steve whispered and I moved out of the way of the door, opening it as I walked away. I walked to the other side of the car to the passenger seat and opened the door. "What are you doing?" Dustin asked. "Out." I huffed. "What?" Dustin puzzled. "Get out. We're trading seats." I insisted. Dustin immediately unbuckled and got out of the car. I sat down and buckled back up. "What'd she say?" Steve asked. "Nothing, just drive." Max demanded and Steve drove off. "Nothing?" Steve puzzled. "Steve, drive!" she yelled. "Okay." he heaved as he started the car. The tires screeched as he drove off with a rocky start. 

    We were driving on the highway when we got a radio interception. "Dustin. It's Lucas. Do you copy? Dustin." Lucas said. "Lucas. Where the h3ll have you been?" Dustin asked. Lucas sounded a bit panicked, "Just listen. Are you guys looking for Eddie?" Lucas asked. "Yeah, and we found him, no thanks to you." Dustin sighed. "You found him?" Lucas questioned. "He's at a boathouse on Coal Mill Road. Don't worry. He's safe." Dustin told him. "You guys know he killed Chrissy, right?" Lucas questioned. "That's bullsh!t. Eddie tried to save Chrissy." Dustin yelled. "Then why do all the cops say he did it?" Lucas asked. Max stood up and climbed over to the front seat, taking the walkie-talkie from Dustin. "Lucas, you're so behind, it's ridiculous, okay? Just meet us at the school. We'll explain later." Max told him. "I...I can't. I think some real bad sh!t's about to go down." Lucas said. "What are you talking about? What bad sh!t?" Max puzzled. Oh, sh*t. They're after Munson. Then there was a voice, "Sinclair!" it yelled. I barely recognized the voice through all the static. Then there was static over the radio. No voices, no background noise. Nothing. "Lucas? Lucas?" Max puzzled in a now panicked tone.