Pennhurst

{WORD COUNT: 1182}

TW: CUSSING

    We headed back to Mike's house and were sitting in the basement. Max was sitting at the small round table that the kids used to use to play DnD writing on some papers and putting them into envelopes. It always brought back old memories being down here. 

~

I sat at a seat I had brought from upstairs to sit down and teach Will, Mike, Lucas, and Dustin how to play Dungeons and Dragons. "So, for this first game I'll be Dungeon Master, okay?" I asked. "What's a Dungeon Master?" Will asked. "So the Dungeon Master, or DM, is the narrator of all your fun adventures. They set the mood, and tell you the setting, the quest, and different little details about the game that help you on your magical, mystical journey. Let me start you off with the Starter Set adventure." I explained and began to read out the adventure 'Lost Mine Of Phandelver' to the boys. "In the city of Neverwinter, a dwarf named Gundren Rockseeker asked you to bring a wagonload of provisions to the rough-and-tumble settlement of Phandalin, a couple of days' travel southeast of the city. Gundren was clearly excited and more than a little secretive about his reason for the trip, saying only that he and his brothers had found 'something big,' and that he'd pay you ten gold pieces each for escorting his supplies safely to Barthen's Provisions, a trading post in Phandalin. He then set out ahead of you on horse, along with a warrior escort named Sildar Hallwinter, claiming he needed to arrive early to 'take care of family business.' You've spent the last few days following the High Road south from Neverwinter and you've just recently veered east along the Triboar Trail. You've encountered no trouble so far, but this territory can be dangerous. Bandits and outlaws have been known to lurk along the trail." I began the story adventure helping them along the way.

~

"Y/n, did you get another vision?" Steve asked in a panicked tone. "No, I was just thinking about the first time I was down here." I smiled. "Yeah, when you were teaching Lucas, Will, Mike, and I how to play Dungeons and Dragons." Dustin beamed. "We thought it was the dumbest game ever and by the end of the campaign we had had the most fun we ever had." Lucas reminisced. "Yeah. That's honestly my favorite memory." I grinned. "If only we could go back to that day." Lucas lamented. My grin faded into a slight frown, along with Dustin and Lucas. We all went silent and looked at Max as we sat on the couch. "I know you guys are staring at me." Max said as she turned her head just enough to look at us. "What, sorry?" Steve questioned. "You said you needed something?" Lucas asked. "Just hanging out." Steve said as he bent over and picked up a baseball sitting on the small coffee table and started throwing it into the air. "How you think your eyes boring into the back of my head is protecting me from Vecna, I don't know." she said as she stood up from her seat at the table and went through a few envelopes. "You can look at me now." she said as the boys stared at whatever they were holding in their hands. "Thank you. Sorry." Dustin apologized. "Sorry." Steve and Lucas chorused. I, on the other hand, had never turned my gaze from her. What was happening to her, was happening to me. We were going through it together, only at a different pace. All of them put down what they were holding and looked up at her. "For you." she sighed and handed one of the envelopes to Dustin. He hesitantly took it from her and she handed another one to Steve. "For you. And, um, you." she sighed, handing one to Lucas. She put another letter out and she didn't even have to say anything for me to know exactly who it was for. I took it out of her hand. "Oh, and, um, give these to Mike, El, and Will." she said giving Lucas three more letters. "If you can ever get a hold of them again." she sighed. We all began to slowly open our letters, "Hey, woah, what are you doing? No, don't. That's not for now. Don't open it now." she gushed. "Don't...okay." Dustin said as he closed the envelope back up. "I'm sorry. What is this?" he asked. "It's, um...it's a fail-safe. For after. You know, if things...if they don't work out." Max explained. "Wait, woah. Max, things are gonna work out." Lucas tried to tell her. "No!" she snapped. "No, I don't need you to reassure me right now and tell me it's all gonna work out. Because...people have been telling me that my entire life and it's almost never true. It's never true. I mean, of course, this *sshole curses me. Should've seen that one coming." she began to cry. "Listen, Max. I know he cursed you, and that sucks, but you are not the only one going through this d*mn curse. I am too. And so did Chrissy. And Fred. And god knows who else he just might. So don't make this all about you. Besides, have any of our plans ever failed?" I stood up as I asked. "They haven't." she mumbled. "Exactly. So we don't need any fail-safes, because everything will work out. And everything will be fine. I promise." I huffed as I wiped a tear from off my cheek. The room went silent and Max looked around. She walked over to the other table in the basement and picked up our walkie-talkie. "If we got to East Hawkins, will this still reach Pennhurst?" Max asked. "Of course. Yeah." Dustin answered. "Wait, woah, woah, woah. Why are we talking about East Hawkins?" Steve questioned. Everyone went silent and looked at him when he finally realized. "No. No. No!" Steve yelled. 

    "Max, Max. Seriously. Seriously, I'm not joking, okay? I'm not driving you anywhere." he raged. "Steve, if you think I'm going to spend what is likely the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike Wheeler's basement, then you're out of your mind. So, either take me where I need to go or you're gonna have to tie me down, which is technically kidnapping of a minor. And if I live to see another day, Steve, I swear to god, I will prosecute." she told him as she walked to his BMW. She tried to open the door, but it was locked. "Open the door." she ordered. "Uh, no." he refused. "I know a good lawyer." she fumed. Steve scoffed and nodded his head before taking his keys out of his pocket. "Henderson, that super walkie of yours better reach Pennhurst." Steve told him and we all got in the car. Dustin, Lucas, and Max were in the backseat, and Steve and I were in the front seats. Max stood outside the door for a moment before finally getting in the car.