{WORD COUNT: 1145}

TW: CUSSING, MENTIONS OF DEATH, FIGHTING 

    We were driving down the road to the trailer park. The whole car was silent except for the music on the radio playing. Lucas, Max, and Dustin squished together in the back seat, me in the passenger seat thinking about the great run that was my life, and Steve driving us to Max's house. We pulled into Max's house and she got out of the car. "This better be fast, Mayfield." Steve said as he switched the gear shift into park. "Twenty seconds." she said as she got out of the car. "That thing's got batteries in it, right?" Steve asked Dustin. Dustin sighed, "I'm not even answering that question." Steve just stared at Dustin from the front seat of the car, his hand still pressed firmly against the wheel. "Yes, it has batteries." Dustin fumed as Steve began to look away. "Yeah, I got it." Steve huffed. "She said twenty seconds and it's been almost two minutes." he sighed. "Calm down. She's probably just thinking about things." I said. "I don't think so." he huffed, but his voice was slowly distorting. "No. No, please just leave me alone. Please." I began to cry. I tried to run out of the car but the door was locked. I broke the window and climbed out, but Steve had turned into Vecna and he was now standing in front of me as I stood up. I started to run, but I woke up back in the car. "Y/n! Y/n, thank god. Are you okay?" Steve asked in a panicked tone. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine." I lied. I wasn't fine. Not anymore. Within seconds Max was walking fast back towards the car. "Open the door." I said. "What?" Lucas puzzled. "Open the door!" I yelled. "Hey, that was longer than twenty seconds." Steve said as Max climbed into the car. "Hey, whoa, whoa. Are you alright?" he asked as he noticed her face. "I'm fine. Just drive." she ordered and he started driving. "Did something happen?" Dustin asked. "Can we please just go?" she begged. 

    We drove down the highway waiting to find out where to go next from Max. "Turn here." Max said. "Here?" Dustin puzzled. Max nodded her head and Steve made the turn into Boane Hill Cemetery. We came to a stop and Max got out of the car. "Do you want me to go with you?" I asked as she stepped out. She nodded her head 'no' and walked towards the graves. Lucas got out of the car. "Max?" Lucas asked. "Lucas, please, just wait in the car." she told him. He began to run after her. He closed the door and I couldn't hear them anymore. She told him something as she walked away and he stood there for a second. She sat down at a grave, cross-legged, and we waited for her in the car. We all stared at her waiting for her to come back. She had been reading a paper off to Billy's grave and then stopped. "All right. It's been long enough." Steve huffed and got out of the car. Lucas had been sitting on the hood of the car and Dustin was standing on the floorboard of his seat. I just sat inside the car waiting until Steve got out of the car. "Steve, just give her some time." Lucas told him. "I have, all right, Sinclair? I'm calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can." Steve huffed and walked up to Max. I followed behind him worried about what he might do. I knew it wouldn't be something awful, but I was still scared. "Max." he called as he jogged up towards her. "Time to giddy up, yeah?" he asked rhetorically. He stopped the moment he saw her. Her eyes were rolled back into her head. You could only see the whites of her eyes. I was confused that I wasn't in a trance too. It seemed like every time she was in her trance-like state, I was in mine. "Max?" he puzzled. "Max. Max. Max!' he yelled. We both began to panic, and I looked back at the boys with a smile.  A fake one of course, but I didn't want to worry them yet. "Boys get over here!" Steve yelled. They ran right over and we all tried to yell her name, figuring out some way to wake her up. Steve grabbed Dustin by the collar of his sweatshirt. "Call Nancy and Robin! Go get 'em! Call Nancy and Robin! Go!" he yelled and let go of Dustin who was now practically rolling down the large, steep hill. "Max! Come on! Wake up!" I yelled. "Come on, Max! Please!" Lucas yelled. "Max, get outta there!" Steve yelled. "Can you hear--" Lucas began but Dustin cut us off. "Guys!" he yelled as he slid down to where we were. "What is...What is this?" Lucas asked as Dustin through cassette tapes in front of her with her Walkman and headphones. "What's her favorite song?" Dustin asked. "Why? Why?" Lucas questioned. "Robin said if she listens...It's too much to explain right now. What's her favorite song?" he repeated. We looked everywhere for Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush until we finally found it. Lucas grabbed it out of the case and we plugged it into the Walkman. We put on her headphones and waited for something to happen. "Now!" Dustin yelled and Steve hit the play button. We continued to yell her name begging she'd wake up any moment. Any second. We just needed her back. I just needed her back. She's my best friend and I can't lose her. I don't want to go through the rest of this without her. Then her whole body began to lift up into the air. Her legs which were crossed now dragged themselves up toward the sky. We all fell backward, confused as h3ll. "Max!" we all yelled standing up quickly. "Max!" we repeated. "Max! Wake up!" I yelled. "Come on, Max! Get out of there!" Steve called. "Max!" we all yelled. "Max!" we just never stopped yelling. I felt a tear roll down my face and I tried my best to wipe it away but more and more fell every time one was wiped from my face. My hands were shaky and my legs felt weak. "Max! Max!" the boys yelled and I heard her gasp. Her body fell to the ground and Lucas grabbed her as she hit the ground. "Max! Max!" Steve yelled. "Max! Oh my god." Dustin quavered. "It's ok. It's ok." Lucas crooned. "I thought we lost you." he wept. Max was hyperventilating and gripping onto Lucas's arm which was wrapped around her waist. "I'm still...I'm still here." she said. "Oh sh!t." Lucas mumbled. "I'm still here." she repeated. My hands still shaky as ever pushed off the ground and stood up.