Happy Birthday, Harry!

Friday Evening
31 July 2009
Harry's POV

"Happy Birthday, Harry!"

The same wish resounded from numerous well-wishers as I made my way through Ron and Hermione's flat towards their garden.

All friends and people I was genuinely glad to see, even if I hated birthdays.

Especially when celebrating the last year of my twenties, which had me feeling particularly old and unaccomplished.

Once I reached the garden, I realised how late I was; the party was already in full swing. 

But of course, Coach had decided we needed to run our plays a few more times before our match tomorrow. 

"Harry!" Hermione's voice called over the din of the other guests, and she ran to greet me, brown eyes sparkling. "Finally!"

"Sorry, 'Mione," I smiled ruefully. "Practice ran a bit late."

"Don't worry 'bout it, Harry," Ron assured me, coming up behind me and slinging his arm around my shoulders as Hermione threw her arms around me and pulled me in for a tight hug.

So she'd had a few drinks already, I mused, grabbing my own cup of punch from the table.

"A toast!" George called out. "Birthday boy is here!"

I couldn't help but grin as George raised his plastic cup high, banging on it with a plastic fork as the crowd gathered round.

"As we all know, our boy Harry is entering the last year of his twenties," George continued, and I shot him my best glare, earning laughs from the crowd.

I glanced around and felt thankful that I had such a great circle of mates, literally.

Ron, Hermione, George, of course. They were the obvious ones.

Along with the rest of the Weasley clan. Molly & Arthur. Bill and Fleur with their daughters, Victoire and Dominique. Charlie, Ginny, and her partner, Micah.

Neville, Lee, Luna.

Neville's wife, Hannah, who had been in Hufflepuff while we were at Hogwarts. Lee's wife, Sarah, a muggle, looking around in awe at the magical decorations fluttering about.

Lavender, the Patil twins (who, honestly, hadn't been "Patils" for a number of years now, but they'd always be the Patil twins in my mind) and a number of other acquaintances we'd all made in the past years.

And even some surprises. 

Like...Blaise Zabini? 

I knew he and Ron were partners and got on, but I certainly hadn't expected him here at my party. 

"Now, I know we'd all hoped our boy Harry was going to show up introducing to us the love of his life, now that he's all situated on that Grindr app," George continued.

"Oy!" I shouted, not thinking my next words through. "C'mon, mate, that's the complete opposite of what Grindr's for!"

Several in the crowd laughed, and I caught sight of Molly shooting me a mock admonishing look, although I could see the corners of her eyes crinkling in a smile.

"What is it used for, then, Harry?" she shouted, much to my chagrin.

"Erm. Conversation?" I managed, causing the group to laugh good-naturedly.

"Yes," George continued without skipping a beat. "Conversation. That's what you lads are calling it these days." 

More laughter from the crowd.