Shattered

Friday Evening
04 December 2009
Draco's POV

We landed in a heap in an alleyway just outside of Hush Mayfair, one of Harry's and my favourite breakfast spots, and I frowned.

What in Merlin's name were we doing here?

Even as I was thinking, I was scrambling to my feet, checking to see that we were all here, looking for Ben and Micah.

Harry and Hermione were doing the same, and it took less than a minute to ascertain that both were fine.

"I'm really sorry the two of you are being dragged along for this," I sighed, waving my wand at them to wrap them in the highest level protective shield I knew of, hoping that the fucking lunatic's previous interferences with Ben wouldn't hinder the shield in any way.

"Where are we?" Hermione asked, frowning as we made our way to the restaurant, festooned in twinkling lights and an array of Christmas trees and wreaths for the holidays.

"Hush Mayfair," I replied. "We come here for weekend brunch quite a bit."

"It's where we had our first breakfast together," Harry piped up, and I couldn't help but grin down at him, remembering that awkward first breakfast after we'd finally admitted we liked each other.

We had just entered the courtyard when Hermione called out.

"Agent Williams!

"Excellent, you're here!" she exclaimed, rushing over to him excitedly. "That means the department's already aware."

Williams looked surprised to see all of us, but he smiled and nodded.

"Erm... yes. Department Head Bones was adamant we get this all sorted out. Why don't the two of you get me caught up?"

He glanced at the little entourage behind Hermione and me.

"Looks like you're ahead of the game," he added with a wry smile.

"Should Hermione and Draco have their glamours on as well?" Harry asked, frowning at Williams.

What?

I glanced at Hermione, who looked just as lost as I was.

"I'm sorry?" Williams asked, frowning back at Harry.

"It's just, you're in your glamour, under orders from Department Head Bones, so I just thought maybe they ought to be in theirs as well?

"I mean, if Department Head Bones thinks a glamour is necessary...." Harry trailed off, his indication clear.

"This is a glamour?" I asked Harry, gesturing at Williams.

"Well, yeah," Harry replied, looking puzzled. "Don't you recognise each other's glamours?"

"Not necessarily," I replied, noticing out of the corner of my eye that Williams seemed especially fidgety.

"But as far as Hermione and I know, this is Agent Williams — this is how he looks every day at work."

I turned back to him now, realisation setting in.

"This is a glamour?"

Williams.

A transfer from MACUSA — Boston, specifically — three years ago.

Who'd been touted as one of the youngest Secret Agents known in history.

A fucking prodigy, having had a nearly meteoric rise within MACUSA before transferring to London.

Fuck.