I Saw a god, (I thought)

Wednesday Evening
09 September 2009
Anonymous

"Sitting in my window,
Pointing my thoughts in lawn, I saw a god,
(I thought, but it was you,) enter our gates;
My blood flew out and back again, as fast
As I had prest it forth, and sucked it in,
Like breath
;"

Love at First Sight - from Philaster by Beaumont & Fletcher

I entered my apartment in a rage, hurling my coat onto the floor and sweeping my arm along the small dining table, taking no satisfaction in the mess I created by doing so.

Two weeks.

Two mutherfucking goddamn weeks.

I threw up a silencing charm and screamed, not knowing what else to do to release my fury and stormed into the bathroom, bracing my hands on the sides of the sink and staring at my glamored face in the mirror.

It was perfection: golden-blond hair cut in an impeccable textured French crop that just begged him to run his hands through, light blue eyes that crinkled perfectly around the corners when I smiled or laughed, a lusciously kissable mouth because if you were going to make a fucking glamor to lure the man of your dreams, why not pay extra attention to your mouth?

A slim build that wasn't too tall or small, perfectly formed and muscled, not that I didn't keep my real physique in top shape.

Of course, I'd also added an extra inch or so to my package because, again, who wouldn't? (And if you say you wouldn't, you're a liar.)

I looked his type; I was sure of it.

I had studied his little Boston boy toy too closely not to.

No, don't worry... I didn't turn myself into a fucking clone of the guy.

I'm not an idiot.

I'd been so young and naïve then, fresh out of Auror training.

Top of my class, too, even though I'd been a year younger than everyone else.

I still remember the first time I'd laid eyes on him.

I'd heard of him, of course, but he could've been an absolute nobody, and I still would've stopped in my tracks.

I'd been leaning over the railing that looked down on the main lobby of the Boston branch of the MACUSA, and my breath had literally stopped.

It felt like all the blood had drained from my body, and all I could do was stare, mouth open before my brain told my heart to get a move on, and I'd thought it was gonna pound straight out of my chest, it began thumping and racing so hard and so fast.

And still, all I could do was stare.

"What's he doing here?" I whispered to my partner, Clyde.

He shrugged.

"Sent him over from England," he replied in his thick Boston accent. "He's gonna be working here for a few months. No one knows why or what for. No one who's talking, anyways."

I'd spent the rest of the day scheming up ways to run into him.

The perfect introduction.

I'd manage to say something witty.

He'd laugh.

We'd chat.

I'd offer to show him around Boston.

Course, I'd had no idea whether or not he even liked boys then.

But a guy could hope, couldn't he?

Just my fucking luck, I did meet him.