A Date with Dudley

Wednesday Evening
14 October 2009
Harry's POV

I stood in front of the mirror, frowning at my jumper, despite the mirror's assurance that I looked "ravishing," and groaned, shoving my hands through my hair in frustration.

"Are you getting all dressed up for your date with Dudley?" Draco teased, leaning casually against the doorframe of the closet.

"Should I be nervous?" he asked, winking at me as he took a sip of tea from the mug he held in his left hand.

I rolled my eyes, letting my hands fall to my sides.

"Yes," I retorted. "Very."

Draco set his mug down on the island of drawers in the middle of the closet and crossed over to my side, his eyes flicking over the mess, reminding me that I really needed to tidy my side up before Draco blew a fuse.

When I had officially moved in a few weeks ago, Kreacher in tow, I'd nearly doubled over in laughter to discover that, instead of downsizing any of his massive wardrobe to make room for mine, Draco had merely added more space to his already enormous closet.

A smaller side, made for, you know, a normal-sized wardrobe.

A smaller side that I, for some reason, could never keep neat even despite Kreacher and Bessie popping up once a week to tidy up.

If I wasn't certain it would've sent Draco into another rage, this time actually burning down the Dursley's house, I probably would have tried joking that my inability to put clothing away properly stemmed from having grown up in a cupboard with no proper closet or dresser to speak of.

"I wouldn't have pushed so hard for you to talk to him if I'd have known I had any competition," he joked, hands tugging and arranging my jumper and the button-down beneath it so that they did exactly what I'd been trying to get them to do for the past five minutes.

"Well, he is blond," I dead-panned, nodding sagely and Draco snorted and laughed quietly.

"Wow, Potter. You decide you have a type, and you just go all out, hmm?"

While Dudley may have lost a considerable amount of weight and, according to Draco, had also undergone a considerable attitude adjustment, he still couldn't hold a candle to Draco.

And I was pretty sure that was in anyone's opinion, and not just my very Draco-obsessed one.

"You're joining us later, right?" I reminded him.

He insisted he had something to do for work and would be running late; I was sure there was no work involved, and Draco only wanted me to stumble my way through an endless half-hour of awkward conversation with Dudley on my own before he showed up.

"Don't worry," he reassured me, giving me a quick kiss. "I'll meet you just as soon as I finish up."

"Mmm," I replied, pulling him back for another kiss. "Finish up soon, then." 

***

A short while later, I found myself ambling along Camden High Street, eyes seeking the large, noticeable black exterior of the pub with The World's End emblazoned in gold lettering where Dudley had decided we'd meet for a few pints.