Tea

Saturday Afternoon
05 September 2009
Ron's POV

"Do you think he'll still come round for tea?" I asked, taking the clotted cream and preserves out of the fridge.

Hermione was finishing the sandwiches, so she didn't reply right away.

Honestly, we'd been anticipating a text from Harry sometime this morning, seeing how he and Draco had left last night.

However, it was nearly time for tea, and still no text.

"Maybe they made up," I suggested, then sniggered to myself.

"Maybe they're still making up."

"Honestly, Ron," Hermione groaned, giving me a pained look, although she seemed on the verge of giggling herself.

"Let's just set up for tea as though he'll be here," she added. "I mean, it'd be unlike Harry to just stand us up, but he's also going through a pretty significant life change at the moment..."

She shrugged, placed the last of the sandwiches on the platter, and picked it up along with the plate of scones to carry outside.

It was just warm enough to warrant taking tea outside, so we'd decided to take advantage of the last vestiges of sunshine before it faded away into proper fall weather.

"Ron, will you put the kettle on?" she called, as though I weren't already doing just that.

Thirteen years and she still thought I needed to be reminded about what to do.

Honestly, Hermione should have had better faith in her "training" skills, I thought to myself with a snort of laughter.

I was just getting ready to bring out the teacups when the doorbell rang, and I practically ran to answer.

"Harry!" I cried, flinging open the door.

"Ron," he replied, a bit surprised by my enthusiastic greeting. "Hey, mate."

He stepped inside and set off down the hallway, stopping by the kitchen to see what else needed to be brought to the table, as usual.

"I've got the cups and the cream and jam," he called out, exiting the kitchen. "What else do we need, 'Mione?"

"Harry!" she sounded just as pleased and excited as I had been.

Harry stopped in his tracks, the three teacups and the plate of cream and jam balanced in his hands.

"What?" he asked, staring first at Hermione, then at me.

"Why are you two being so weird?"

He glanced at the table and, seeing that it was empty, continued his path outside, where he set the plate and teacups down.

Harry then rounded on us suddenly, arms crossed, one brow raised expectantly.

Hermione immediately erupted into a fit of giggles, and Harry and I both turned our attention to her.

"I'm sorry, Harry," she apologised, still giggling a bit. "But that look was absolutely classic Draco."

Harry started, then grinned ruefully.

"I suppose we've been spending quite a bit of time together," he admitted, scratching the back of his neck. "But seriously, you two were being a bit odd."

"I mean, you left in a bit of a huff last night," I reminded him as we took our seats around the table.

"Oh, right." Harry frowned, reaching for a sandwich. "I'd forgotten about that."