Chapter Two

"I never thought I would see it! You were never in want for a partner!"

Mama, dressed in the pink she so adored, beamed at me from where she was seated in front of the fireplace. I resisted the urge to point out that I had sat out two dances. I'd mentioned it the evening before and been ignored, so it didn't seem worth the effort to try again.

"Yes, Mama," I said, focusing my gaze on my embroidery. There was a similar piece of needlework at my mother's hand, but I knew without looking that nothing had changed on it. In fact, it had remained the same for as long as I could remember. Mama would bring it out every time she was at home, but would almost never make a stitch.

"We must be sure to thank him for his kindness."

This I had to protest. "You cannot believe that I would not have had a partner without him asking me first. It was kind of him to ask me to partner him for the first dance, but I am sure the other gentlemen did not ask me simply because they saw Mr. Landon stand up with me."

And if that wasn't a complicated idea to express, I didn't know what was!

"You may not be willing to appreciate your good fortune, but I am. It is about time someone took notice of you. I had started to fear you would not take this Season."

This time I did sigh. "Mama, he asked me to dance. Once. Nothing more. You cannot begin to plan my marriage to him."

Never mind that I had enjoyed dancing with Mr. Landon more than any other gentleman all evening.

"Who said anything about marriage?" Mama asked, her tone scandalized. "Goodness, Eugenia, I hope you will keep such speculations to yourself in front of our visitors today. We cannot have rumors spreading and ruining your reputation."

I gave up on reasoning with her and, instead, turned my attention to my needlework. She was right; I would be a laughingstock if people believed I was holding out for an offer of marriage from Mr. Landon after a single dance.

My attention went to the door of the sitting room, which had opened. Our first visitors of the day, Mrs. Russell and her two daughters entered and sat down. They had been at the dance party the evening before, so we were able to exchange our observances and the conversations we'd had with other guests.

Soon after, more visitors arrived. For several hours, there was a steady flow of people coming in and out. I heard many of the same bits of gossip from several people, which grew tiring. It was while one of the other debutantes of the Season was relating one such tidbit that Mr. Gerard Landon arrived.

Immediately, I stopped listening. As was only proper, the man made his bow to my mother, who was extremely delighted to greet him. I watched as he acknowledged the other ladies. Soon, though, he was in front of me.

"Good day, Miss Burnham."

I don't believe I could have kept from smiling, even if it had meant my life. "Hello, Mr. Landon. It is good to see you again."

"I hope your exertions from last night have not left you tired," he said with a smile.

Fortunately for me, the young lady who had been speaking with me had turned to the person next to her, so I was able to give Mr. Landon my full attention. "No, indeed. When the season first began, I did often become fatigued, but I am accustomed to it now."

"I am glad to hear it."

It felt awkward to carry on a conversation with him standing over me. I gestured to the space next to me on the settee. "Won't you sit down, Mr. Landon?"

With a smile, Mr. Landon accepted my invitation. "Thank you, Miss Burnham."

For a moment, silence formed between us. "Tell me of your estate," I said, anxious to learn more about his life.