Chapter Fourteen

Of course, as pleased as I was about the dinner, I was also unable to keep from being nervous. Mrs. Landon was a stickler. At least, that's what everyone said about her. How disapproving was she going to be when my family disrupted the number for her dinner party?

Nelson informed me that I was borrowing trouble and that nothing could be accomplished by worrying so. Her bluntness helped me to think straight, but she was not always with me.

The maid seemed to be distracted as she helped me dress for the evening. My hair took hardly a few minutes to arrange. Nelson wound a blue ribbon that matched my dress perfectly around my head. She said not a word as she did so.

"Is something wrong, Nelson? You seem as though something is weighing on your mind."

Her gaze met mine in the mirror and forced a smile appeared on her face. "All is well, Miss Burnham. There is nothing that needs concern you."

So, there was something, but she would not confide in me. Mary would have, I am sure. With a huff, I rose from my chair, even though Nelson hadn't declared me ready yet. "I suppose Mama and Papa are waiting for me."

Nelson raised an eyebrow. What right did she have to look so superior? Lifting my chin, I strode out of the room. Deep down, I knew I had no reason to be frustrated with the maid. She has her own responsibilities and duties to perform. She had been more than patient with me already.

By the time I reached the bottom of the stairs, I was regretting my actions. Honestly, if Nelson was anxious over something, I wished to help. I could not force her to confide in me as we had not known each other long enough, though I had spilled my fears to her before without a thought.

"You took your time," Mama said, her eyes moving across my outfit. She sniffed and shook her head. "I do wish your gowns would make more of a statement. You would look more at home in the country in that simple thing."

"Eugenia looks just as she should, I would wager," Papa said, coming down the steps behind me. He sent an approving smile in my direction, and then his expression became serious. "Who went into my study?"

"Oh, anyone could have. The maids to clean, certainly. Why do you ask such ridiculous questions?" Mama said with a pout. "What does it matter?"

"I thought my papers had been moved, but you're right. It was probably nothing," Papa said swiftly. He held his arm out to my mother. "Let us go."

****

As soon as we entered the drawing room, Mr. Landon was there to greet us. It appeared we were the first to arrive. "I am delighted you were able to come," he said, shaking my father's hand. He then turned to me and held his arm out. "Allow me to present you to my mother, Miss Burnham. She has been so anxious to meet you."

Somehow, I couldn't be sure that was the entire truth, but I forced a smile anyway as I took his arm. He led me across the room to where a stately woman was seated. "Mother, I am delighted to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Burnham to you, and their daughter, Miss Burnham," Mr. Landon said, his tone cheerful.

Mrs. Landon cast her blue-eyed gaze over me as my parents murmured their delight at the introduction. "So this is Miss Burnham," she said, her tone neutral. She glanced at her son. "I've heard a great deal about you. I see you chose to adopt the hairstyle that has become so popular amongst the young ladies."

"It's shocking, is it not?" Mama asked, her tone containing a note of eagerness that made me want to flinch. "If she had even hinted at her intentions, I would have―"

"It becomes you, Miss Burnham," Mrs. Landon said decisively. She gestured to the seat beside her as a Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins was announced. "Sit beside me. I would like to know you better."