Chapter Ten

"What if nothing can be done?"

It had only been a day since Nelson had told me she'd sent a message to a hairdresser. It wasn't the first time I asked the question since the hairdresser had sent word he would come. Each time, Nelson had assured me, and she'd been so patient. I had the feeling, though, that I was trying that patience.

"Losing hope will do none of us any good." Nelson's tone was sharp as she faced Mary and me. "Monsieur Lemaire is a talented hairdresser, and he has been known to work miracles."

A miracle. "It will take more than a miracle to manage this mess," I said, waving a hand at my hair. For some reason, Nelson had not attempted to tame it this morning, and it was at its worst. "I will never make Landon see me."

"He already sees you, Miss," Mary said, resting a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Why, he stood up to dance with you twice at the last ball you attended. And did you not tell me he came to your opera box?"

I let out a sigh. "He was only being polite. He's not the only man who's danced with me twice in one evening, or called the day after."

For a moment, I thought Nelson said something, but I couldn't hear and to be honest, I was far too nervous to ask. "Well," she said, raising her voice. "If you don't want to do this, you should have told me before I finished your dress for this evening."

I'd forgotten she was altering my gown and I twisted around in my chair to admire it. "Oh, it looks so lovely, Nelson," I said in surprise. I rose from her dressing table to inspect Nelson's handiwork. The embellishments Mama and the dressmaker had insisted for the white gown were gone. "I hardly recognize it. But, is it supposed to be so...simple?"

"Yes," she said emphatically. "One or two adornments are all very well in their place when used with moderation and skill. But to have an abundance of lace, feathers, or beading will hide your slender figure and draws the wrong sort of attention."

"And no one will recognize this as a dress you've worn before, Miss," Mary added, her tone practical. "Once all your gowns have been altered, it will be as though you have a new wardrobe, without having to go through the time or expense of getting it."

How long would it take Nelson to go through all my gowns? She had so much to attend to, looking after Mama and myself. Before I could ask her when she would find the time, the bedroom door opened, drawing all of our attention.

"There is a Monsieur Lemaire in the drawing room," Molly, the other maid, announced. Her tone was filled with curiosity. "He says Miss Burnham requested his attendance."

He was here already? So soon? "Oh...I...I..." I stammered, my nerves taking hold of me once again.

"Please show him up," Nelson said, taking charge. "He is expected."

With a nod, Molly hurried out. Nelson swept the dress into the wardrobe, where it could stay out of the way and unharmed by any misfortune. Mary glanced at the door."Mrs. Wilder will be wondering where I am. I should return to my duties."

She couldn't leave me to face this stranger alone! "Oh, please don't go," I said immediately. "I need you here, Mary."

"Miss Burnham is correct." Nelson's agreement came as a shock to me. "If you are to know how to dress her hair when I am unavailable, you need to remain here. I will explain to Mrs. Wilder."

Those words didn't seem to calm Mary one bit. However, there wasn't time to say more, for the door opened, and an unfamiliar man stepped in. "Monsieur," Nelson said, dropping a respectful curtsey. "I am Miss Nelson. I sent you the message on Miss Burnham's behalf. Thank you for coming on such short notice."