Epilogue

My thoughts were full of my betrothed and the future we would have together. He wished for us to be wed as soon as was possible, something I knew Mama would be pleased about. I had no objections either. It would bring me immense pleasure to leave London and explore the country with Gerard by my side.

"Mrs. Gerard Landon."

I couldn't keep from giggling. To think of him as Gerard in my thoughts but in speech refer to him as 'Mr. Landon' was a confusion. Perhaps once some time had passed, it would be easier and more natural.

Humming, I sent a glance at the light coming through the break in the curtains. Why had Nelson not come up already? Perhaps the loud noises during the night had disturbed her sleep as it had mine.

The door opened, and Mary entered. "Good morning, Miss."

"Good morning, Mary," I said slightly confused. Why was she the one to come? Was Mama being difficult this morning and keeping Nelson occupied? "I hadn't expected you would be in this morning. Where is Nelson?"

It was then I noticed Mary's expression as she drew nearer to me. It was a strange mixture of fear and excitement. All my happy thoughts of Gerard vanished. "What's wrong, Mary?" I asked as I sat up. "Has something happened?"

"Yes, Miss," Mary said, setting my breakfast tray down. "Mr. Bridges has been arrested for being a traitor and for attempting to kill Miss Nelson."

"Miss Nelson? How...?" I stared at her in horror. "My father's valet tried to kill her? Why would he do that? What happened between them? Is she alright? Is this why she hasn't come up?"

All I had were questions! The maid shifted her gaze away. "Last night, she insisted she didn't need to see a doctor, though Bridges tried to strangle her. Mrs. Wilder told us that poor Miss Nelson's neck is quite black and blue. It's a wonder she survived."

"Poor Nelson! Of course, she deserves to take to her bed today, though I'm sure Mama will be furious when she learns of this." It was hard to fathom such a thing occurring in this house, and it took me several moments before I noticed how the maid was shifting from foot to foot. "Mary, what are you not telling me?"

Mary heaved a sigh. "Miss Nelson has left the house already, miss. She left you a letter."

"A letter?"

The maid sent a glance towards my dressing table, and I climbed out of my bed. In time I would have noticed, I am sure. A sealed note rested against the mirror, and I snatched it up. Breaking the seal, I sat in front of the table.

In all honesty, the note explained nothing. All Nelson said was that she was pleased she could help me and that she hoped I would be happy. Her future, it would seem, was taking her elsewhere and she would remember me with fondness.

"But this does not tell me why she left," I said, lifting my gaze. "She doesn't speak of what happened to her, which I'm sure must have been a strong reason to leave. Besides Mama's difficult nature, of course."

"Miss Nelson had already left the house when Mr. Bridges attacked her."

Dumbfounded, I returned my gaze to the note. "Had she...had Nelson discovered Bridges' actions and that is why he attacked her?"

"No one seems to know, but I think she did."

I could well believe Nelson smart enough to have worked it out. That such a thing had occurred in my home was astonishing! I'd known Father had dealings in the government, but he'd never elaborated on the details.

Breathing out, I folded the note. "Nelson requests I look to my happiness," I said as I stood up. "I believe I shall wear the green morning gown, Mary."

She bobbed a curtsy and hurried to pull it from my wardrobe. I wish I knew where Nelson had gone so I could thank her properly. I'd said the words many times, but it wasn't enough for what she'd done for me.

"Miss Julie Nelson, wherever you are, I wish you all the best."