Chapter Thirteen

Mary was kept busy below stairs for the next several weeks, leaving me to rely on Nelson to help me dress. She was so skilled at calming my nerves as Mr. Landon began to visit more and more. In fact, I believe the poor maid was running herself ragged keeping me straight and seeing to Mama's needs at the same time.

Daily, I wondered when I would have the opportunity to meet Mr. Landon's mother. He'd not mentioned it, and I was far too fearful to do so myself. Nelson tried to assure me it would happen in due time, but I couldn't completely abandon my fears that she would find me faulty somehow.

What if Mrs. Landon was a stickler for more traditional appearances? What if my short hair offended her and she set out to convince her son I was not worthy of him? The last thing I wanted was to create a wedge between Mr. Landon and his mother.

Or maybe I was wasting time by worrying over nothing.

The evening arrived when Mr. Landon had invited us to attend the opera with him. I could only hope I would enjoy this second visit more than the first. At least, I was more prepared for the conversations that would happen during the performance.

As it happened, my seat was on the edge of the box, so there was no one on my right to speak to me. Somehow, Mr. Landon ended up sitting on my left, and it was only occasionally that he made observations about the performers. Mama was behind us, which put a damper on her ability to carry on a conversation.

It was a delight to be able to enjoy the entire performance.

"When do you expect your father to return?" Mr. Landon asked during the intermission.

Pleased he remembered that my father had been away, I nonetheless had to shake my head. "Father didn't inform us when he intended to return. In fact, I do not know where he has gone."

Disappointment crossed the man's face. "I see. I'd hoped to be able to include him in an invitation to dine at my mother's house next week."

"Oh. I'm sorry to have to disappoint you."

"I hope you and your mother are able to come."

"I am certain our schedule will allow it." If Mama had already accepted a different invitation, I would send our regrets. There wasn't anything that would keep me from attending that dinner. Unless I was on my deathbed, which didn't seem likely.

Delight appeared in the form of a smile. "Would it be too much to request another ride tomorrow afternoon?"

I was on the verge of accepting when I remembered. "I fear my mother and I are otherwise engaged tomorrow."

"The day after, then," he said, his tone determined.

With a chuckle, I nodded. "I believe I am free then."

"Excellent."

****

Every time I spent time with Mr. Landon, I was convinced I'd never had such fun in my life. He was considerate and exerted himself to make sure I enjoyed myself, something no one had ever done for me. Was it any wonder that other young ladies sent jealous glances at us?

Mama was delighted to accept the invitation to dine at Mrs. Landon's home. She was so sure I was about to be married she could talk of nothing else. Her admonishments that I ought to be open to a better match faded to nothing, which was a relief.

It was understandable that Mama would want the best for me, but I was certain I would not make a good wife for a titled gentleman, who would have high expectations from his life partner.

Without my father's approval, though, I was getting ahead of myself. I didn't realize just how much I missed my father until I was informed he'd returned. Though I knew there must be a hundred things requiring his attention, I couldn't keep myself from running down to the library.