Chapter Six

Was it any wonder that I didn't sleep well that night? Too many thoughts going around and around my mind kept me from relaxing completely. I worried over my future and how I was to live up to Mama's expectations for me. There were Miss Graham's strange behavior and the attitude of my sisters.

I heard the door open. "Good morning, Miss Burnham," Nelson said, her tone cheerful. She came into view with a tray in her hands.

With a sigh, I pushed myself up. It was time for another to begin. "Oh, Nelson, it's you," I said, rubbing at my eyes. I reached out to accept the tray. "Good morning."

She put the tray in my hands and then strode to the windows. "I hope you slept well." Nelson turned to face me.

"I did, thank you." I leaned back against the bed frame and flipped her messy braided hair over my shoulder. The scent of my chocolate filled my nostrils as I poured myself a cup. "I was expecting Mary to bring up my breakfast."

"Well, you have me, Miss Burnham, and I hope I don't disappoint you." Nelson offered a smile, but I wasn't sure she was sincere. "I will leave you to eat, and then I will return to help you dress."

As much as I had been looking forward to having a lady's maid, this forthright person was not what I had been expecting. "You can just send Mary up. I know my mother will require all of your attention."

A muscle in her jaw twitched. "Of course, Miss Burnham. I will let Mary know that you require her." She retreated from the room, but not before I saw the hurt expression on her face.

Why should it upset her that I requested Mary's assistance? Honestly, it made perfect sense in my mind. Mama was the primary person Nelson was to look after, and I knew how particular my mother would be. There was no reason for Nelson to concern herself with me.

Mary entered my room. "You need me, Miss Burnham?"

"Help me dress, Mary. Nelson will be occupied with my mother today."

"I thought you were excited about having a lady's maid," Mary said as she went to my wardrobe. She drew a morning dress out and held it up for my approval. At my nod, she carried the pale green gown to my dressing table.

"I was," I said honestly. I swung my legs off my bed and stood up. "But I'm not sure Nelson has the experience to be of any help to me. She cannot be much older than I."

"I'm not older than you."

As much as I hated to admit it, Mary had a point. "True. But you know how to handle my hair. You've had months to know how to keep arrange it."

"If you can call it arranged," Mary muttered.

In no time at all, I was dressed for the morning. Leaving Mary to put my room right, I decided to join my sisters in the schoolroom as there were no plans for the day. They were at work already, and Miss Graham was watching over them. She gave me a nod as I went to my favorite window.

It wasn't long before my sisters acted up. "You're taking up too much room!" Daphne said, getting my attention. She reached over and shoved Calliope off her chair.

"Daphne, I am not!" Calliope scrambled up and pushed Daphne to the ground. "Stop making up stories."

"Don't push me!"

I flinched as they both yelled at each other. In an instant, Miss Graham was between them. "This kind of behavior is appalling!" She put a hand on each to keep them apart. "Neither of you shall be walking out today."

"We will!" Calliope declared with her usual stubbornness. "I shall ask Mama, and she will say you are to take us! So there! We will go walking."

"No, I will tell Mama!" my youngest sister exclaimed. "Just because you are oldest, Calliope, doesn't mean you get to tell Mama everything!"