Chapter Nine

The following night, after a long day of trying not to bring up all my doubts and disappointments, I waited for Mary to help me dress. She never came. I finally changed into a pale blue gown without any help and sat in front of my mirror to make a start on my hair.

No matter what I tried, strands kept escaping my attempt to arrange my hair into a simple chignon. How was I expected to survive the season when I couldn't even manage my own hair? As desperation rose, my bedroom door opened and I twisted around in my seat.

"Nelson, you're here," I said in relief as the maid entered.

"Your mother had specific needs," was all she said, which was more than enough. "Allow me to take over, Miss Burnham."

"Mama was being demanding. I know her all too well."

Nelson undid my attempt and went to work. "Yes, I suppose you would." She gave a huff and shook her head. "I'm going to be completely honest with you. We can't keep doing this."

Oh. I should have known that was coming. All the other maids had made it clear I was beyond help. Still, I'd hoped there would be one person who would be able to help me. "I knew I was a hopeless case."

The maid raised her eyebrows. "That's not what I said. I meant that we're going to have to try something different with your hair."

Though I felt relieved at her clarification, I couldn't think of what she was referring to. "But what else can we do?"

"We can discuss it sometime when you do not have to go to the opera." Nelson threaded a ribbon through my hair, one that matched my gown. "I would like you to give me permission to alter a few of your dresses."

My dresses?" I repeated in surprise. "Why do you want to alter my dresses? Miss Blair swore it was in the latest fashion."

All of my gowns had matched the fashion plates exactly. The one time I'd suggested that perhaps a simpler dress would be in order, Miss Blair and Mama had ignored me. I didn't have the experience to know what was fashionably acceptable, after all, so I'd accepted their decisions. What else could I have done?

"The latest fashion, maybe," Nelson said, her tone kind. "But I think a different style would fit you better. Trust me, Miss Burnham, I know what I'm doing."

Oddly enough, I believed her. "Oh, thank you, Nelson!" I twisted around in her chair and grabbed her hands. "Mary thinks you're the next best thing to a miracle worker."

My words seemed to shock her into momentary silence. Then, she cleared her throat and shook her head. "Well, I don't know about a miracle, but I will do what I can." She pulled her hands free. "Now, Miss Burnham, it's time for you to attend the opera."

"Yes, it is," I said, unable to keep from smiling. "I hear it's going to be a magnificent performance."

She placed my cloak on my shoulders and tied it securely. "Enjoy your evening, Miss Burnham."

"I can't wait to hear what you plan to do," I said before I hurried out of her room. My mind was a whirl as I thought of just what Nelson could mean.

Mama, dressed in her usual pink gown, was waiting for me. Somehow, she was always the one waiting. "There you are, Eugenia," she said, seeming not to be concerned about the time. Her gaze swept over me and she raised her eyebrow. "I wish you'd worn something a little more...impressive. The Opera is where one goes to be seen. How will anyone see you in that drab thing?"

"Would you like me to go back up and change?"

With a sigh, Mama shook her head. "No, there's no time. I'll have a word with Nelson when I return. She cannot be making these mistakes."