Chapter Twelve

"I suppose I should go see my sisters before anyone comes to call," I said with a sigh as I came back to the present. "And Miss Graham has not yet seen my transformation."

"I'm sure they will be enchanted as everyone must be."

Nelson's statement made me laugh. "Phoebe and Daphne? The only thing that enchants them is mischief, but I appreciate the sentiment. If I know them at all, and I believe I must after so many years, it will not be long before they are begging to have their hair cut short."

The maid smiled as I left the room. Humming to myself, I made my way to the schoolroom where I was sure I would find my sisters, and I did. However, Miss Graham was not with them. Again. What errands were taking the governess away from her duties so often?

"Were you the belle of the ball, Genie?" Daphne asked as soon as she saw me.

"Since I didn't attend a ball, no, I was not," I said with a laugh. "It was a dinner, which I enjoyed immensely."

My sister twisted her face into an expression of disgust. "Boring," she declared as she turned away.

"Where is Miss Graham?" I asked, as neither of them seemed inclined to volunteer that information. "Shouldn't you both be studying spelling right now?"

"Indeed they should be," Miss Graham said as she entered the schoolroom. She came to a halt as she stared at me. "Goodness, Miss Burnham! Your hair! Your dress! Whatever induced you to do this?"

Smiling, I spun to face her, and I held my arms out to display my new appearance to the best advantage. "What do you think?" I asked, eager for her opinion. "Would you ever have thought I could look so well?"

"This cannot have been your idea."

She seemed...annoyed and upset. I lowered my arms, feeling my delight fading. "Well, no," I said. There was no way to lie to her. She'd only catch me out. "Nelson arranged it all, but I gave my permission for it to be done."

"I think she looks beautiful, and before she was hideous," Phoebe said suddenly. "I want to look just like her when I come out."

Besides the fact that she thought I'd been ugly before, it was the sweetest thing my sister had ever said to me. Pleased, I sent a smile in her direction, but her attention was already on something Daphne had discovered in the history book.

"You mustn't allow Miss Nelson to rule your life," Miss Graham said in a low voice. "She is not that much older than yourself, you realize."

"But I haven't allowed that at all. Her suggestion has helped me more than anyone else's have in the past. I could have said no, but I didn't, and things couldn't be better because of it! Mr. Landon has invited me on a carriage ride today."

Miss Graham's lips thinned into a thin line, showing her disapproval. What did she have against Nelson? Of course, they must have met, but I couldn't imagine what could have happened to incite ill feelings.

"Well, there's no need to give her all of the credit. I'm sure he would have asked you eventually," the governess said, her tone matter of fact. "Has he not giving you much attention these past several weeks?"

"That may be true, but I like my new look," I said stubbornly. "Monsieur Lemaire did a splendid job and explained just how much this hairstyle suits me. You must admit, few young ladies have dared to cut their hair."

"For a reason. It is an extreme style and hints at a rebellious nature."

Both of my sisters burst out in laughter, distracting me from my confusion at Miss Graham's negativity. "Eugenia? Rebellious?" Daphne asked. "I don't think I've ever heard anything so ridiculous! She's the least rebellious person in the world."